Can I upgrade this desktop's GPU??? (has integrate graphics currently)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:wave: Hi, i have a E-machines 2800+ athalon XP
about 750 MB RAM
currently, it has intgrated graphics (something like GeForce 4)

I am wondering if I can upgrade this with a AGP graphics card? (I am thinking a Geforce 6200 256MB)

If you are not sure, I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to find out if my computer has an AGP slot.

Also, if there is a process I need to undergo in order to disable the integrated graphics, please let me know....

Also, should I call the company and ask about this in order to make sure that the computer and graphics card are compatible???

The sad fact of the matter is that very few prebuilt machines come with upgradeable bits inside, my freind once had a machine from evesham which had an AGP slot but it was installed backwards so that you couldn't use it on another motherboard :suspiciou anyhow, if you open the machine up you are looking for a short brown slot on the motherboard such as the one below
Motherboard-AGP-Slot.jpg

find that and you should have an AGP slot, oh and there can sometimes be an option in the bios to turn intergrated graphics off, i can't remember exactly where so you'll be best off just having a look around :)

If you have an AGP slot i would suggest a better card than the 6200. A Radeon 9600XT, 9800PRO or 6600Gt would be the best choice. Even a 9600XT is better than a 6200 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back