Can I use Core 2 Quad Q6600 for DDR3 RAM and motherboards?

Hello guys, I'm totally newbie in building desktop computers from scratch as I've been buying desktop PCs from retail stores! So this time I'm thinking to build one myself and save some money as well as learning something as an outcome!

I'm currently having a Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU which I want to use it on the new system!
So was wondering whether is possible to use the following RAM on the given CPU or not? If not then what CPUs would work on the following RAM?

Here is the RAM that I'm looking to buy from Amazon UK;
Link: amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMX6GX3M3A1600C9-DDR3-SDRAM-Memory/dp/B002LZ1FPG/ref=sr_1_14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1291044698&sr=1-14

Bye the way, does any of you know what sort of motherboard brand does Apple uses for its MAC Pro desktops!
I've done a lot of research, but nothing found so far!
Appreciate any help!
Thanks,

You won't find anything about the Mac pro motherboard because its made specifically for the mac pro for Apple. I doubt very much you could ever get it to fit in a standard case as the design from what I've seen is totally different. That said, the price will be outrageous and make it a pointless purchase anyway.

Your Q6600 is a socket 775 CPU, so your restrained by your current motherboard as to what RAM it can run. I'm guessing your stuck with DDR2.

We need more information from you, specifically the motherboard and manufacturer of your computer (if its been store purchased), and what operating system (32bit/64bit as well) that your using.

You could order a new Socket 775 motherboard that supports DDR3 RAM, but in my eyes its pointless, as your purchasing older hardware for the same or more money than purchasing newer stuff. You could probably sell your Q6600 and make some decent money to use towards a new CPU though.

Thanks! :)

Yes that's what I was thinking too, maybe sell my current CPU and go for Core i7!
I can probably sell it for about £90 on eBay! How does that sounds!

Okay, I want to build something that more or less is similar to Mac Pro desktops! I mean in terms of components and brands!

As you said, so what motherboard should I go for! I want something that would at least lasts for another 2~3 years! I've been using the current PC since mid 2007 and never let me down so far! Thanks to HP Pavilion desktops!

Motherboard = Still don't know! The funny thing is I'm a pro programmer, but no nothing about the computer itself!!! Please make a suggestion for a similar motherboard to what Mac Pro is using!
CPU = Core i7 (don't know much as I'm currently using Core 2 Quad Q6600)
Cooling system = Water cooling
Case = Coolermaster 932, something with same spec but cheaper price would do it also (anybody know any other good ones!)
Graphics = Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 (something with min 1GB of memory)
Sound = Don't know yet! I don't know anything about sound cards
RAM = At least 4GB, up to 6GB, something good as what Mac Pro is using!
OS = Windows 7 Pro (don't know whether 32-bit or 64-bit, does it really matter)
What else!

Bye the way, guys if I'm wrong on any of the given info please make me correct!
I'm more than happy to learn something!!! :)

Thanks in advance!

If you want a Mac Pro, get one, period. ;)

For everything else PC, comparing items to a Mac Pro is pointless. Its all proprietary components and besides the RAM and HDDs, pretty much everything else is Mac Pro only due to its EFI booting setup. The same goes for GPUs, which have to be specifically written to run a Mac Pro setup. Its either Mac Pro, or it isn't, and you need to understand that clearly.

Before going any further, you need to set a budget (does this budget include speakers, your Windows 7 purchase, monitor, keyboard and mouse? If so, tell us), and state your intended uses.

You'll need 64bit Windows if you want to use more than 4GB of RAM though.

While the Q6600 is still serviceable, the Core i3-540 is in a dead heat with it for most uses. The Q6600 wins in a couple of synthetic benchmarks, and in a couple of uses that actually do use all four cores. That said, the 540 can be had as low as $100.00 US. It is however, socket 1156.

Better performing Intel Quads (LGA775) (45nm), are also available for about $120.00 (W/O VT) to $140.00 (W/ VT)

The LGA775 platform is EOL, and IMHO, it wouldn't really be worth the money to upgrade it.

Intel's "Sandy Bridge" platform will hit the street beginning in January, which will make the LGA775 two generations old.

You can compare your CPU's performance with Intel's current line in this article; http://techreport.com/articles.x/18448

With all of that said, you'd need a new board to run DDR3, (as Leeky pointed out).

Most Gigabyte boards claim legacy CPU support. But, you'd still have to buy a board to support the memory, and it'd still be obsolete when you got done.

Although, you do need to give some thought to what you'd like done better or faster, to have more insight on where you should look to improve your system.

EDIT: And then there's this..... The FSB speed of the Q6600 is 1066Mhz. DDR2 easily runs @ 1066Mhz

Nice to hear back from you guys so quick!
Thanks to both of you guys! Really appreciate it!

I'm going to use the system for video editing (in HD if possible, often can't as running other programs at the same time), also converting, programming, gaming (2~3 time a week), surfing web! But mostly for designing, video editing and sometimes gaming!

I was looking to buy this one (1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Desktops/alienware-area-51-alx/pd.aspx?refid=alienware-area-51-alx&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1), but unfortunately can't afford it! So was thinking to build one myself with same/similar spec that would approx cost me around £1,000!

I've got the followings and don't need to buy them!
Windows 7 Pro
1TB Hard Drive
Speakers, mouse and keyboard
20" Samsung monitor

To be honest, I'm looking to build a PC that would save me a lot on components that doesn't make much difference on the performace! So like case! The case (Coolermaster 932) already costs me £110 from Amazon UK, so If I could somehow get a similar case with the same spec, but much cheaper, then that's even better!

Thanks! :)

If it was me, I'd go with the the AMD Phenom 1090T X6 CPU, and probably either a HD6870, or maybe something like a GTX580 if you need more horsepower.

I'll let others do the building though, as they're always better than my efforts. :D

But, a AMD Phenom 1090T, Gigabyte motherboard, 8GB RAM, good PSU (600+W), whichever GPU, and a few other bits should be quite possible in your price range including a case. I'm hesitant to recommend something exactly as I'm not overly sure what needs supplying to allow for the demands of HD video encoding en-mass.

Intel tend to be the stronger CPUs at the top end of the pricepoint, but you pay dearly for it. I'd imagine a 6 core Phenom slightly overclocked would be just as worthy for half the price of a bigger, more power Intel.

I don't know what CPU the 1090T is direct competition for though unfortunately, as I don't know how well it fairs up against the Intel i7 6 cores.

To my understanding, the 1090T is in direct competition with the Core i7 980(4 core/hyperthreaded 8 logical thread) CPU, and does not compare too well to the 980X(intel's six core/hyperthreaded 12 logical thread) CPU.

In my opinion, you get what you pay for, if you want a six core machine, you might as well go for broke, and go X58, i7 980X, and triple channel DDR3. Its probably the most expensive setup, but likely the best and fastest setup. You wont find a much faster machine than that.

Just keep in mind, thats A LOT of cash, and its something that you likely wont have to upgrade for quite a few years.

Back