Can I Use Notepad in Windows to Write UNIX Scripts

By dgower2
Apr 25, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All,

I've been attempting to edit UNIX scripts in Windows, using Notepad, by FTPing the script files to and from the UNIX/Windows machines. It's easier for me than using VI or PICO. However, I think Notepad may be corrupting the script files. Does anyone know if Notepad will, in fact, render UNIX scripts unusable? Do you know of a better way to edit/create UNIX scripts on a Windows box?

TiA

Dan
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Maybe the MS-DOS editor. ;)
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

The linefeeds are different in DOS/Windows and Unix - you will have to convert the files.

Some FTP programs can do this automatically. In Unix, there is a program called dos2unix (available for Windows too, I believe).

You can also use some more advanced editor. Crimson Editor supports opening files directly over FTP for example, understands different newlines and you can specify in which format you wish to save the text.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Editors like EditpadPro (www.editpadpro.com) can convert text into Unix-format and v.v.
    A version is available for Linux, which I would assume should also work under Unix.
  5. dgower2

dgower2 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 340

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.