Can my Dell handle an X1950XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... I desperately need to upgrade my graphics card from the Radeon X300 I currently use. After combing through product reviews and benchmark tests, I've narrowed my choice down to ATI's X1950 XT. I have two questions for you all:

1 - Which ATI manufacturer should I go with? Sapphire and HIS seem to be the most popular; is there any real difference between the two?

2 - Will my current desktop be able to support the X1950, both in terms of its physical size and its power needs?

Here are my specs:

Dell Dimension 8400
Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz
PCI-E x16
1GB DDR2 RAM

As for the power supply, I can't get my CPU open at the moment, but it's whatever the system shipped with when I purchased it in Feb '05. According to Dell's website, the replacement power suppy for this unit is a "350-watt redundant non-PFC dual serial ATA power supply" and it seems as though Dell is the manufacturer.

I know computers reasonably well, but I haven't tried to upgrade a graphics card since I made the switch from EGA to VGA so forgive me if I'm missing anything. I tried to include everything listed in the guide. Thanks in advance for any help.

Adam

btw - I'm in the US, New York

The case-opening mechanism is clunky so you’ll have fun [sarcasm]. You are correct: 350 Watt PS but, you might want to look into a 450 [at least]. From the pictures online I believe the card will fit but, pictures online can be deceiving. You might want to measure the whole thing out manually.

Thank you much for the info. Is there an online resource that'll give me a crash course on power supplies: picking one out (manufacturer, etc.), installing one and in all ways just explaining how you deal with them? Are they very expensive? Are they just like any other computer component where you remove the old one and put in the new one and voila, upgraded PC? I never dreamed I would need to get a new power supply when upgrading my video card. Thanks again for the advice.

Well, dealing with manufacture systems like Dell, Gateway, and HP it can be a hassle to upgrade a power supply due to case design. The Dell case seems to be a full-tower type and most power supplies should work [remove old, install new].
I would measure the power supply [old and new] before you install.
I like Antec but, check newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back