TechSpot

Can My Vid Card Have Its Own Power Supply?

By KKYYLLEE
Nov 20, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quick question lets say i bought a pwoer supply for my pc but the plugs between my cdrom and hardrive are to close and wont reach my hardrive, and i have another power supply, can my video card have its own power supply plugged into the power port on the vid card?
  2. KKYYLLEE

KKYYLLEE Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

anyone around?
  3. guitto

guitto Newcomer, in training Posts: 95

4. Narey

Narey Newcomer, in training Posts: 82

i acutally tried this once when my pc was messing about, i had no idea what i was doing so it was probably a very silly idea. fixed my problem for about 4 mins before the pc started making very horrible noises so i decided to best to turn it off :)

(sorry that wasnt very usefull atall)
  5. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

If you want to use a second standard psu in a pc all you have to do is join the green wires together so both start at the same time and away you go.

I ran a pc with 2 300watt psu's for about 3 years without a problem. I modded the wiring so that 1 psu powered the mobo and the other powered everything else.

I didn't have a camera when i built that so i don't have any pictures of what i did but it worked perfectly. I fitted the 2 psu's to the bottom of my case and used them as feet.
  6. guitto

guitto Newcomer, in training Posts: 95

I must say, that is clever, have you tried 4 300 watts =0?
  7. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 357

hey, so i could make my own 1000W PSU. Niceeee lol
  8. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

No guitto, one at the front, one at the back = 2
  9. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 357

i am using 2 cdroms like that now Rik :p
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.