Can not get 1920x1280 resolution

By OneEightyy
Jan 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Just recently upgraded my video card to a Radeon 6850 as well as upgraded my monitor to a LCD 21" Monitor. When I went to change my settings in vista through Desktop>Personalization>Display settings, the highest resolution I could get was 1600x1200, where all the icons and text was stupid small. Any suggestions on how to fix?
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

what is the maximum supported resolution of the monitor?
  3. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,022   +51

Have you got the latest, or correct drivers installed?
    I have 19" Dell, highest resolution is 1680 x 1050.
    Check the specs of the monitor, as mentioned above, not all options are always available.
  4. OneEightyy

OneEightyy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well I downloaded a recent display update from ATI and I don't know of any site to give my an update for my monitor. In the manual it says "For best performance, set at 1920x1080" but I don't see where or how I can set that option. When searching my problem on google, many people also said they could not find this option specifically on windows vista/7. But I have seen people gaming at full HD on youtube so it must somehow be possible. I can tell it is not full HD as when I startup alot of the text is pixelated and far from what I'd picture HD as being.
  5. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,022   +51

I guess you know this, but if not just right-click anywhere on the desktop, (in Windows 7, poss Vista too), choose, 'screen resolution', then if you click on the box 'screen resolution' you see a slider which you can set up how you like.
    I have found that all graphic adapters and all (2) of my monitors, don't have all the resolutions, and only when you get the correct Graphic driver, will you be able to get the highest resolution.
    If you bought the Graphic card new, and it had driver disc included, my experience is that it will be out of date. You have updated it and that should be ok, but if you want to scan your pc with a third party program, try;
    Download the free version of the program and scan. See if the driver is what you have installed. Also it might tell you about the monitor driver too.
    Note that the program can download the drivers for free, but they are at a rate of about 15 kb/s, so unless you have all day to spare.... Of course you can write down the info, and go to the 'right' site to get the actual driver, if needed.