Can not login to XP Normally...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried for days to resolve this problem. I thought it might be the after affects of a trojan zlob virus I removed a few days ago from Norton.. basically I thought my system is being hijacked. Now.. I just don't know... When I go to login I get he following error: IT says that "The System is unable to login because DOMAIN "name" is not availalable..... I am using a WORKGROUP. I have no clue what is going on here.....I am not in a DOMAIN... my system seems to think that it is.... How do I get out of this messs? I was in other forums for virus issues.... but I am at loss... as to where to go now... I dread having to reinstall windows XP Pro.. I can login fine in Safe Mode with no problems.

Any help is immensely appreciated...!!!!

In what way do you log in?
That is, do you have the big blue screen where you click your name? Or is it just a login box where you type your name and password? Does you account even have a password?

From Safe Mode, right click My Computer, choose Properties. Go to Computer Name tab. Then the Change button. Make sure the workgroup is selected.

Also, if you use the Welcome screen to log in, you could turn that off and see what the login box looks like. Go to Control Panel, Users. Then click "change the way...". And turn off the Welcome screen. This will mean that you have to type your username and pass, and not just click the picture. But anyhoo, after restarting, this login box should only have 2 entires for user/pass. If it has a 3 box, that is where it is selecting a domain, and you want to change that to the name of the local pc.

Anyway, hope that leads you somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back