Can not turn off Windows Firewall

By ngoel
Sep 11, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have followed the standard procedure for turning off the windows firewall. But I can not turn off the security wall. I went to control panel-> security center. Then clicked on windows firewall. Chose off option and then OK. But the windows firewall is still on in the security center panel.

I am having problems loading both Internet Explorer and Firefox; the altter one does load after a couple of attempts. IE even when it loads does not work properly. For example, in hotmail, some time I can not open inbox or if I could, could not open a particular mail. I am using Norton firewall/antivirus. I thought Windows firewall may be responsible for my problem.

I would appreciate any help
  2. sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr Newcomer, in training Posts: 61

I doubt if that's the cause of all your problems, but=
    Enable or disable XP Internet Connection Firewall = http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/icf.mspx

To turn XP firewall on/off = start/control panel/double-click on network connections/right click on the icon for the connection you are using/properties/advanced/ check or uncheck box next to "internet connection firewall"

After you turn it off, you might want to =

Disable SP2 security alert = start/settings/control panel/security center/in the resources click - "change the way security center alerts me"/uncheck white small boxes and click ok
  3. korrupt

korrupt Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,060

I don't think the windows firewall has anything to do with your problems, it sounds more like a virus. Post a thread in the relevant forum and I'm sure Howard will help you out.

Regards,

Korrupt
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.