Can only start in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarols

Hi there, just doin some work on a friends PC, 486 DX100/8 ram/2.2gb H/D/Win 95. I can only start it in Safe Mode. If I start it in Normal mode, I get the message "insuffient memory to run windows, quit programs running in config sys and autoexec files, then restart". The PC has been running fine till now. He claims that it happened after he dragged 2 files into another location on the desktop (Tho I seriously doubt it) So far, I have backed up config sys and auto exec and removed the 2 entries from the files,so they are empty, but I just get a windows protection error message. If I replace the config.sys and Auto exec files with what was there originally, I get the first message again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Personally, i would suggest a new computer! He is still running a 486? What is he using it for?! Maybe he would benefit from a format and a fresh install of win95.

Yeah, Windows 95 isn't exactly tailored for the 486 :dead:

I would severely reccomend a new computer :haha:

Win 95 will run fine on a 486 if you have enough RAM, I remember setting lots of them up with 95 way back in the stone age. You need to stick with older versions of most software as well though. I'd recommend getting some RAM, and a fresh install.

If the computer suits his needs and he has no problem running older software on it, I'd say run it until it dies, thats what I do.

If however if the above is not true, by all means Get a new Computer

I've had a 386 with 12 megs or RAM running win95 and connected to the internet, 14.4 baby!. But I wouldn't recommend it
Will win95 install on top of the current filesystem without him losing important "documents" like 98 and ME will?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back