TechSpot

Can power sockets freeze / crash a computer?

By JoeyJoeJoe22
Oct 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi.

I've recently bought a desktop computer and owned it for around a month and set it up at my home with no problems whatsoever. I moved into a new house and now I'm experiencing serious freezing and crashing problems. I took it to my brothers house and the computer ran perfectly, more cooling and software wipes don't seem to be fixing the problem either. With a wireless card I'm still getting the freezes, ultimately the computer appears to run extremely slow and crash no matter what socket configuration I go with in the house. Can voltage really be causing this problem? My computer is practically unusable at the moment. Thanks, here are my specs:

[System Summary]

Item Value
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name JOE-PC
    System Manufacturer MSI
    System Model MS-7721
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V10.1, 22/10/2012
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name Joe-PC\Joe
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.97 GB
    Available Physical Memory 6.56 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 14.4 GB
    Page File Space 7.97 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Take the computer back to where you bought it and either exchange it or get your money back

3. JoeyJoeJoe22

JoeyJoeJoe22 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Wow thanks for your advice, that's really ****ing helpful.

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"I've recently bought a desktop computer and owned it for around a month"... This said it all. It's most likely a defective power supply

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

JoeyJoeJoe22, watch your mouth please. When asking for free advice from volunteers who aren't getting paid to spend their own time trying to help you, a little respect isn't too much to ask. We don't necessarily expect humility and gratitude but a slap in the face is unwelcome.

jobeard likes this.
  6. lildemon330

lildemon330 TS Rookie

This reply may be a little late saying that it is almost 2016 as tonight is Christmas Eve, but yes a power socket can make computer slow down and perhaps even make it crash. A power socket could be giving not enough power, or if its in a power strip and there are allot of things pulling power from it, then your power supply could be getting not enough power. If other computers work fine on that socket/ power strip, then you may want to consider replacing or perhaps upgrading your power supply (if applicable).

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

FURTHER, persisting in this manner, you will earn a bad reputation and soon no one will even try to assist you, here or other threads - -
    What goes around comes around

Tmagic650 likes this.