Can processors be replaced?

By crazdude
Oct 1, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I dont know if processors can be changed. i currently have a celeron d processors at 2.93 Ghz but i would love to have a pentium 4. Do i necessarily need to buy a new motherboard in order to get a new processor? Or can they just be poped out and changed as long as the motherboard supports a p4? here is my motherboard right now

http://www.asrock.com/product/product_775vm8.htm

well. i just really would love to get rid of the celeron, i can't say its a bad processor, I say its highly underated cuz its actually pretty decent. well I still would like a p4 seeing as they are faster and more powerful so can processors be changed? and if they can can my motherboard support a p4, i know my motherboard support ht tech by the way, it said on the manual.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

3. crazdude

crazdude Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 198

well the pentium 4 540 with 3.20 Ghz would make me happy. now if lets say i gpt that cpu would i be able to replace it with my currrent celeron d 340? and if its possible to replace it how do u replace them? like just pop out the old one and put in the new one? cuz see ive opened up my pc and I haven't got a clue on how is it possible to change a CPU i dont see any screws or anything that holds it in its place. would someone mind teaching me how?
  4. RealBlackStuff

5. crazdude

i will make sure of that, but answer yes or no? can they replaced? can i replace my celeron d for a pentium 4 seeing as my motherboard supports it.
  6. Blakhart

Blakhart Newcomer, in training Posts: 510

Yes, cpus can typicaly be replaced, follow the bios requirements and socket type. I have seen cpus soldered into mobos but these are the walmart lindows type systems. They saved money by not using a cpu socket, they simply solder the cpu in place. The only way to replace a soldered cpu is by a lot of unsoldering.
  7. RealBlackStuff

Read the bleedin' answers to your questions!
    My first post gave you a whole list of possible replacements!
  8. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Yes you can change the cpu.
    A 540 should work, but a 640 is about the same price, and is 64bit enabled, so it could run a 64bit OS in the future.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116197

To remove a cpu you first remove the heatsink, then you lift the cpu locking lever, then remove the cpu straight up. To install, you carefully drop the cpu into the socket(while the lever is up, and with the cpu aligned properly), once it's in lock down the cpu lock lever, then apply some artic silver 5 thermal grease to the heatsink. Install the heatsink according to it's instructions, and don't forget to plug in the cpu fan.

This article might help, there are several pages.
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/intel-socketT/index.php?pg=4
  9. crazdude

so your saying i can take out my currrent celeron d processor, and put in a pnetium 4 650 processor at 3.40 Ghz? Will it make my computer wayyy more powerful than it currently is? like will it make it good for gaming? cuz that would make me really happy.
  10. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

A good cpu alone won't make your games run super well, if you have a bottom of the barrel graphics card. That said, If you have a good card, a faster cpu will make games run better.

In farcry, a 650 is about 30% faster at the game than a celeron d 2.8ghz.
    In Doom3, it's about 34% faster.
    That's assuming the same video card, a 6800gt.

Here's the link.
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&model1=42&model2=114&chart=25
  11. crazdude

what if the card is a geforce 6600? by the way i have a 2.93 Ghz celeron d not 2.80 Ghz, so its a little bit better I assume. You think i cud play age of empires 3 on my system on med settings with a 2/93 ghz celeron d and a geforce 6600?

12. Blakhart

Blakhart Newcomer, in training Posts: 510

"what if the card is a geforce 6600? by the way i have a 2.93 Ghz celeron d not 2.80 Ghz, so its a little bit better I assume. You think i cud play age of empires 3 on my system on med settings with a 2/93 ghz celeron d and a geforce 6600?"

Yes.
  13. crazdude

sweet, am also thinking about getting 1 Gb Ram, to keep it safe, i wont buy AOE 3 until i have 1Gb memory at least.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.