Can see other networks but can't connect

I have a COMPAQ PC with windows 7 on it and a wireless adapter called a "TwinMOS Wireless LAN Client Adapter IEEE: 802.11b 2.4GHz/11mbs"

I tried putting it into my computer when it was running Vista (It's factory-included OS) and it would show the other wireless networks as well as the ones in my neighborhood but it wouldn't connect to them. It kept saying there was some unknown reason blocking the connection to the router.
What can I do to make this adapter work? I don't wanna buy a new one.

Now, slightly less relevant question: I have a couple old laptops, could I use their WLAN cards on my PC or does it not work that way?

Did the TwinMOS wireless LAN come with a CD? If so, it might have the software/drivers on it necessary to use the wifi.Als, did it come with ANY other info?

Assuming these networks you're trying to connect to are open & doesn't require password, what type are they (b, g, or n)? Your adapter is "b" so it will see other networks but won't be able to connect to them unless those networks has "b" mode enabled.

The wireless mode of my router is "n" only so my older device (no longer in use) can't connect to it.

Clipboard01.png

As for wi-fi card from old laptop, are you talking about PCMCIA card? You'll need adapter for that to work on your desktop.

@ learninmypc - No, but I got the drivers with my laptop and a driver downloader program. I'm not sure it got the right driver though, my laptop might be different or something. It's win 7 x86 just like my computer so idk.
@ Rabbit01 - I'll check that out, it's in my routers control panel right? As for the laptop wifi card, it says "intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Model: WM3945ABG MOW1"
@ TheHawk - Thanks, if all else fails I guess I'll end up having to get the new one.

The Driver I have for the card seems like it's the correct one but something about the title of the driver makes me think it might be win xp only... Here's the title: "Hardlink_HW5600_Net For Win2000_XP"

@ learninmypc - No, but I got the drivers with my laptop and a driver downloader program. I'm not sure it got the right driver though, my laptop might be different or something. It's win 7 x86 just like my computer so idk.
@ Rabbit01 - I'll check that out, it's in my routers control panel right? As for the laptop wifi card, it says "intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
@ TheHawk - Thanks, if all else fails I guess I'll end up having to get the new one.

The Driver I have for the card seems like it's the correct one but something about the title of the driver makes me think it might be win xp only... Here's the title: "Hardlink_HW5600_Net For Win2000_XP"
I just googled you "Hardlink_HW5600_Net For Win2000_XP" & the results came up with https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/driversmith.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=popup-donuts

Oh, you're having problem connecting to your own network too, thought it was just the others. Yes, in that case, check your router settings.

There are mini PCIe card to USB adapters but I think getting an new wi-fi adapter w/ "n" as TheHawk suggested, would be a better option.

Oh, you're having problem connecting to your own network too, thought it was just the others. Yes, in that case, check your router settings.

There are mini PCIe card to USB adapters but I think getting an new wi-fi adapter w/ "n" as TheHawk suggested, would be a better option.

Okay, thank you everyone for the help. I think I'll just bite the bullet and spend the money for a new one.

Back