TechSpot

Can someone help me find a .avi codec?

By czplayer
Nov 3, 2007
  1. Hi are there any free .avi codecs I can download to use with wm11??

2. drpepper55

drpepper55 TS Member Posts: 65

I believe wm11 comes with the ability to play avi's built in or at least mine did and I can play avi's without needing any add-ons or plug-ins but if it helps, here are a couple of codec pacs that are freeware at the majorgeeks.com download page shown at the very bottom of todays' page...

Vista Codec Package 4.5.2 Final [ 21.6 Mb | Freeware | NT/200x/XP/Vista]
    Compiles the best codecs from all the big name codec packs.

Vista Codec x64 Components 1.3.3 Final [ 4.83 Mb | Freeware | Vista64]
    Compiles the best x64 codecs.

PS. You can also check right here at TechSpot by looking up at the top of these pages under 'downloads' and then uder 'Audio/Video' and then under 'subcategories', you will find some codec downloads.

Best to you...

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Hum.. You probably do not quite understand what codecs are.

First, WMP opens .AVI files out of the box. You need a codec for the video/audio streams that are inside the .AVI file. Think of .AVI as a ZIP or a RAR file that can contain many kinds of stuff.

Second, "any" codec would be totally useless. You need a specific codec for a specific audio/video stream. If you have an AVI file and you have no idea which codec it needs, download a program called GSpot - it will tell you what codecs are needed for an AVI file.

The most common additional codecs to install are DivX and XviD for video and AC3 for audio.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.