Can someone help me? (Norton 2004 won't install)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a situation where my Dad's computer (Xp box) will not install Norton 2004. He had Norton 2003, but clearly something must have happened to system. 2004 would not install on top of 2003. So, we removed 2003 completely (from Add/Remove Programs), and tried again. No luck. 2004 will not install. We've checked his disk (optimization/defrag).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I do not recall a specific error number. More of a generic message that simply says: "Unable to install Norton 2004". There is not enough clues in the message to pin-point what the problem would be, or where to start looking.

Its been my experience that NAV 2004 has a lot more problems than 2003 and really isn't any better.

If it were me I would just stick with 2003.

What started us going to 2004, was Dad was complaining that no one was answering his e-mail. He was sending it, we just weren't receiving it. We remote desktop'ed into his computer and saw that he had 2003 installed with e-mail checking on. We logged in as him and sent an e-mail from his account to us. It never arrived. (He was using Outlook express and the e-mail went from the Outbox to sent messages.) So, we disabled e-mail scanning and tried again.

Message went through. Something clobbered his 2003, we don't know what it was, so we thought it would be best to move on to 2004. Only we can't. So right now, he's in a situation where 2003 didn't protect him and 2004 can't be installed. Yet, 2003 gave us impression that all the vius defintions were totally up to date.

you should never try installing a newer version of norton's on top of an older version if you do then you usually end up with TWO nortons installed and conflicting with one another.

first thing to do is download a trojan detector like this one www.moosoft.com and run it what may have clobbered his nortons could be a trojan which could also be preventing the installation of the new version.

After thatyour best bet would be to search the net for a program called norton remover which will remove ALL of norton for you. ( add\remove does not get it all) then try installing the new version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back