Can`t open jumpdrive to retrieve my files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just got brave enough to sign up today. I am trying to learn to be less dependent on my young great-nephew in solving my computer problems. This looked like a friendly spot to find others willing to help. :) The question I have today is about my jump drive. I have had no problems in the past but when I plugged it in today it just will not open. The only possible thing 'different' is that it feels a little 'wiggly'. Please do not tell me I have lost 11 chapters of a novel since the laptop I had as backup died earlier. I will appreciate any help. Please remember too that I am pretty much a novice to computer tech 'language'. Thanks. Mattie

Hello, and welcome to Techspot! :)

If the drive is "wiggly" it might mean that the connector that you plug into the USB port has been bent off or just worn out.

Another thing you could try is to right click on your "My Computer" icon, and click manage. Go to the "Disk Management" section and check if the disk shows up there. If it doesn't you could try a restart of your computer and then just try plugging it into another USB port. Sometimes those jumpdrives just require you to unplug them and plug them into a different port to get Windoze to recognize it.

EDIT: Check out this excellent guide to USB drive recovery by Tedster: USB Drive Recovery

after checking the FAQs. also once you get it working - NEVER save items to a flash drive you cannot afford to lose. Flash drives by nature are not reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back