Can this Card work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_noob005

My freind doesn't play many games, but i do and i need a better graphics card, he has a Geforce 6150 le and running on windows xp media center, 2002 edition.

im running on windows xp home edition 2002, can we switich graphics cards. i have a Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller. If they can't be switched then can which is a cheap graphics card you'd recommend for me.

pc_noob005 said:
My freind doesn't play many games, but i do and i need a better graphics card, he has a Geforce 6150 le and running on windows xp media center, 2002 edition.

im running on windows xp home edition 2002, can we switich graphics cards. i have a Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller. If they can't be switched then can which is a cheap graphics card you'd recommend for me.

No, his video card is integrated onto his motherboard. First we need to know your motherboard model number. Check out the guide in my signature entitled "Cfitzarls Guide to Video Card Upgrades" and follow all of the steps.

interested in games like, company of heroes, battlefield 2, call of duty 3, United States, and under 100 dollars if possible, pretty much cheapest

Memory
type: DDR
size:1024 MBbytes
Channel #'s: Dual
Performanced mode: Enabled
(do you nee dthe timings?)

MainBoard
my model # is owf887
Manufactor: Dell
Chipset:Intel 1865p/PE/G/i848P
Southbridge:Intel 82801EB (ICH5)

Cpu
Name: Intel Celeron 330
Code Name: Prescott
Package: Socket 478 mPGA
Technology: 90nm
Specification: Intel(R) Celeron(R) Cpu 2.66 GHZ
Family: F
Model: 4
Stepping: 1
ext's: same
Revision:EO
Insturctions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

You cannot switch graphics cards as both of you are not using graphics cards, but instead video integrated with the motherboard.

From your Specs, it sounds like you have a Dell Dimension 1100/B110 model. Unfortunately, these are budget/disposable computers and not very upgrade-friendly. They do what they are designed to do well- which is surf the net, email and basic windows applications. They are very ill-suited for gaming though.

If it is indeed a B110, then it only has PCI-slots, very poor cooling, and very marginal power supply (250W peak, but more often only about ~200W sustained output). While it is indeed possible to upgrade your gaming capabilities, you have to ask yourself if you wish to invest in this system when funds would better saved towards a budget/new system with many more capabilities and upgrade possibilities.

If you're hard set on upgrading, your best route would be to start with a PCI 3d card as the 1100/b110 do not have agp nor pci-express slots for adding a "real" 3d gaming card. Luckily, VisionTek makes an X1300 Radeon in PCI and this is your best option.

The next order of business is- are you interested in buying a 3d card to help with games.. and if so, what region of the world are you in? Guidance finding a vendor/place for purchase as well as pricing will need geographic location as we have users from all over the world here.

EDIT- if you're in the USA, this jobber is what I'd recommend, provided your power supply is in good order and isn't weakened/old:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814129062

I live with my parents, and they don't want me to get a new computer till im off to college so i guess i will upgrade, i used systemrequirementslab and found that on all three of those games, my graphics arent good enough, so i would really like to upgrade those

would that vision tek you offered let me play call of duty 3 company of heroes, and stuff like that?

pc_noob005 said:
would that vision tek you offered let me play call of duty 3 company of heroes, and stuff like that?

Well, the X1300 might be able to play them on lower quality settings on a lower resolution. This is the most powerful card you can put in your computer right now since you have a motherboard that doesn't have today's standard video card slots.

First off, there is no Call of Duty 3 for the PC. It's available for the XBox360 only right now. If you mean Call of Duty 2, then yes, the X1300 will play this game but as mentioned prior, only at very low settings. You wont be able to crank up all the eye-candy but you can play it on low to medium settings.

This will be the case with most newer games. You'll be able to play them, but as your system only has PCI slots, you're limited to PCI videocards which are sorely lacking in power for modern games. The X1300 is the *best* PCI 3d card you can get for gaming, but that isn't saying much as PCI is old and slow.

Well I used to have a PCI-Express interface version of the Radeon x1300. It can play most games but you just have to tweak the settings a little.

I think you should get that PCI Radeon x1300 because it is better than nothing! Seeing as you are an everyday gamer, you need something at least. The x1300 is just about as good as it gets for a PCI interface.

It can play old games on high with a respectable result (in terms of frame rate). However, most modern games must be set on medium. A select few modern games (such as FEAR) will need to be set on low. Though on the x1300, even on low settings, FEAR still looks like a slide-show :p.

Just don't touch the Anti-Aliasing or Anisotropic-Filtering settings :) and you should be fine on most games. However since you are moving from an integrated graphics device to a video card, your tolerance for low graphics settings should be pretty high :D.

so there is for sure no wawy we can switch graphics, sorry i meen call of duty 2, been playing 3 on 360 lately

Nope. The two you have are GeForce 6150LE and some variation of Intel Integrated Graphics. Which means that both these video devices are attached to the motherboard, and there is no way to swap them.

ok thx guys for all the help im gonna w8 a bit and see if i can get the x1300 on woot.com bu tim gonna ge tthat. thanks again.

It will be just fine,, no problems @ all, and games will work

they will work in slow motion tho,, horrible card,,

tweakboy said:
they will work in slow motion tho,, horrible card,,

Tweakboy, please stop all the comments you give to people saying their graphics cards will "run in slow motion". pc_noob005 only has PCI slots and the x1300 is about as good as it gets for this type of an interface. And he's likely not looking for a major upgrade beyond a single video card.

pc_noob005 said:
w8 what, so prety much all games i play will be laggy, and bad

The bottom line is: an upgrade to an x1300 PCI will give you better performance than your current graphics device. Don't go overkill with the settings, and you will be very satisfied.

Even though the x1300 is a low-end card, I am sure that you will be satisfied with this upgrade, because I think you should be very tolerant with low-graphical performance, since you have been gaming with your current integrated graphics for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back