Can this type of connection be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_17

Hi!

I have a problem, I'm gonna move to another room in my house, and I want to have the internet connection in my room, so I want to know if the next can be done.

The problem:

- Once I move, i'll have the cable modem and the ADSL router in a separate room. (Yes I have two separate broadband connections).

The Target:

- To pass that 2 connections to the other room, where there's a 10/100 Switch and have a proxy server with 3 NIC's be able to connect to the home lan, the ADSL router and the cable modem.

The way to do it i have in mind:

- In the room where the 2 modems are i'll put a hub to wich i'll connect the adsl router and the cable modem, then i'll plug another lan cable to the uplink port that will go to the switch in the room where my computers will be. Then in that room, besides the other computers that will be conected to the switch, the server will have 3 cables going to the switch. 1 NIC will have DHCP enabled for the cable modem, the 2nd one will have a static (10.0.0.x) ip address and a subnet mask (255.0.0.0) for the ADSL router, and the 3rd NIC will have a static ip (192.168.0.x) and subnet mask (255.255.255.0) to have access to the home network.

The question:

- ¿Will that work? :)

I'd like to know if it's possible to do that before I go to buy the cables and the hub.

Thans a lot!!!!

How far is there new distance between your pc and the ADSL/ Cable Modem? If i m not mistaken, Cat5 alone can transmit data up to 185m only :(! Any longer distance may require a booster to boost the signal.

Don't worry, it must be about 70m straight cable. Actually I'm pretty sure that the theoretical maximum is 100mb for Cat5 till the signal starts to fade out.

Well it's not so so so big. Its big, but the cable is so long mostly because of the corners and turns it must take. I am also curious, can a normal cat5 cable be in the outside of the house without getting damaged?

Originally posted by dani_17
Well it's not so so so big. Its big, but the cable is so long mostly because of the corners and turns it must take. I am also curious, can a normal cat5 cable be in the outside of the house without getting damaged?

CAT-5 cable is pretty well shielded.. I would trust it to be outdoors. If you are going to run it for the full 300ft (You'd need one hell of a house for that!), then I would trust it less outside.

Well anyway my problem is not the cable. I still want to know if the setup i described above would work.... If now I'll have to drop 2 separate cables, 1 for the cable modem and 1 for the ADSL router and that's something i don't like to much...

I think your configuration will work, but why do you need to use different subnets and that server? You could just use 2 switches, one in the modem room and the other in the computer room..

Originally posted by dani_17
I am also curious, can a normal cat5 cable be in the outside of the house without getting damaged?

You need to be careful with this. We have regular CAT5 running out of our main house into our apartments at school, and it is running throught the attic of both of them. Well every time there is a thunderstorm and lightning we fry a port in our switch upstairs in our main house.

If you are running it underground (at least 6 inches) it should be fine, but if it is exposed I would be more careful. You can also get extra shielded cable, but that cost is considerably more.

I know you aren't planning on doing this, but I wanted to throw in my experiences.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Well every time there is a thunderstorm and lightning we fry a port in our switch upstairs in our main house.

I think you guys need to re-access the situation... I mean considering we live on earth and the amount of storms that occur, thats a lot of money and trouble to have to worry about dont you think? Are you rich? lol

Originally posted by acidosmosis
I think you guys need to re-access the situation... I mean considering we live on earth and the amount of storms that occur, thats a lot of money and trouble to have to worry about dont you think? Are you rich? lol
Well its not cost effective to run it underground because we would have to tear up our driveway. Running it like we have 12 people getting 100Mbps LAN access and from there a connection to the internet. Right now this is the best option. Imagine having 12 college students used to having super sweet connection to going back to dial up which doesn't even connect close to 56k if you can even get into the campus line. The money issue is not as big of a deal as it would be for a family. But this is a fraternity house, lots of people live there, so the cost per student is relatively minor.

Originally posted by acidosmosis

No, i'm not rich :p

So passing the cable outside the house would be dangerous because of the light storms. Well I live in the Dominican Republic and light storms are pretty often.

So, what is your recommendation? I don't really know what to do right now.

Wouldn't it be easier to drill a whole in the wall to shorten the length... If you can make your own cable ends you'd be able to get away with smaller holes than if not, but even if you can't, the wholes will be quite small and shouldn't be to noticeable...

Anyways, I'd be using a switch instead of the hub due to a bit shorter latency when playing games and a wee bit less network traffic...
Aside from that I can't really see any problems with what you're describing...

If you're afraid about running the cable outdoors, and can't drill through the walls, why not buy some extra shielding, and just shield the part of the cable which runs outdoors?
The it'll be easier to work with inside...

.02$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back