Can XP Home be installed on same computer/different HDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got another HD (250gb). I want to install the same version of XP home either on 2 partitions on the 250 or 1 on that and 1 on the 20gb. When I create another partition either through My Computer/Manage/Disk Management or partition magic it won't let me install a bootable partition past the 1024 cylinder boundary. When I try to install on a different drive with the xp disk, it allows me to select the 20gb to format but then the next screen says it's about to format the C: drive which is on the 250gb. How can I get xp on the other HD?

I only use the partition software that comes with the hard drive. I also only have one drive connected when I partition. Ive got 3 installs of XP Pro and 2 of 2000 Pro and never ran into any install problems.

I don't think it is possible. While the license only allows it to be used on 1 computer at a time, every time you install it, it will look for previous installations both on the computer and through the registration process. You might be able to do it, but I think the registration process will assume you are trying to load on 2 different computers because with the hard drive change, you will have a different setup.

You could always clone a fresh, activated install to a second hard drive if it's a problem.

The feedback I've been getting is either someone thinks I can do it or thinks I can't. I guess my question is has anyone done it and, if so, how? I'm deleting all partitions with the xp disk, reinstalling the partitions for the 250gb and 20 gb and then installing xp on the 250gb. Then I start the computer with the disk again and attempt to install xp (with the same xp disk) on the 20 gb. It allows me to select that partition but on the next screen it says it's about to format the C: drive which is the one on the 250gb. I'm selecting the drive on the 20gb and it's automatically going to the C:. Is there another way I can do it to get xp on the 20gb?

Just install from BIOS. I've had two XP's on different hard drives - then at startup you will get a menu asking which O/S you want to load. They are both identical, WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION.. so you have to remember which is which, but it's simple. You can transfer your documents and other stuff quite easily by just clicking on My Computer and opening up the other hard drive. Activating windows wasn't a problem either, I did both and updated them from microsofts site.

As vegas suggested the best way is to disconnect the 1st HDD (20G), then install the 250HDD as if this was the only HDD in the PC. After that disconnect the 250Hdd, and reconnect the 20. Now boot into Windows on the 20. Now you need to edit the boot.ini file. Start/right click on My Computer/properties/advanced tab/Start-up and Recovery/Settings. At the top is an edit button.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

You need to this line again:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Home 250Hdd" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn (the Home 250Hdd is a description for yourself).

Now save/ shut down/ reinstall the 250Hdd edit your BIOs to let it know both drives are there.

the drives have to be system file or made bootable
I have added up to 4 of same xp pro on 1 drive
4 partitions
first partition is system as stated it makes a boot.ini file that points to the diff xp installs
there is no license issue I know of unless the motherboard is changed
I'm sure I have had to read something about this on MS website under IT management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back