Can you change your drive letters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterproof

I've got 2 hard drives that dual boots, I have Windows Vista (with no SP1) in one hard drive (C Drive letter) and Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 on the other hard drive (G Drive letter) I want to discontinue using 1 hard drive that has vista (with no SP1)
and I want to continue using the one with SP1, that would be the drive that has G on it, now I want to change the drive letters, or actually swap it so that my Vista with SP1 drive would be C instead G as it is already, I tried using VistaBoost Pro in doing that, I got BSOD on my vista, until I had to log in with the vista without SP1 to change it back to the original state.

Now is there a way to change the drive letters or swap each of them without any problems? I'm quite confused about it, lol

Hi Waterproof.
if you go into Administrative tools in control panel>then to computer management>storage>disk management>and right click on the drive you want, an option will be there to change drive letters and paths.

Hi Waterproof.
if you go into Administrative tools in control panel>then to computer management>storage>disk management>and right click on the drive you want, an option will be there to change drive letters and paths.

It says it can not change?
message says "it can not modify the drive letter of your volume. This may happen because your volume is a system or boot volume or has page files"

It says it can not change?
message says "it can not modify the drive letter of your volume. This may happen because your volume is a system or boot volume or has page files"

before you did all this, did you change the boot sequence in the bios?

You can change it via the registry, but the reason Windows won't let you do it is because it is a very bad idea.

While most things on your computer will go out of their way to use relative locations, there will be numerous absolute locations throughout your system registry, configuration files etc. This is a very, very bad idea.

Think of it this way. What happens to the programs you installed when it was the G Drive. Most of them will no longer work because the would be referencing a non existent drive letter.

I agree with Rick. Really bad idea. you should just be able to remove the reference to the C drive and will always boot to your G drive. I did it that way for a long time on one of my PC's with no issues what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back