Can you confirm +12V2 rail is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rilla927

Hi gang,

I started putting my new build together late last night on a open air tech station to make sure everything would be in good working condition before installing into the case, lol on that. Components in build are:

Q6600 G0
Enzotech Ultra-X HS
GA-P35C-DS3R
2gig DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel
Evga 768MB GTX
500gig Seagate SataII- (1)
PX-800A Optical
Seasonic M12 700W

After setting all this up I turned it on for 10-20 seconds (twice) and the only thing that powered up was the fan on the Enzotech Ultra, no HD, no optical, no video, no could install windows. Could I have damaged the processor and or the mobo because of this fiasco? I'm really worried about the processor cuz my 30 days was up on the 9th from Tank Guys where I pre-ordered the Q6600 G0.

The HD was on Sata port 0 (the orange). Ram was seated until I heard the clicks and the latches closed. Yes, both 6pin adapters were plugged into the video card.

After taking a close look at the mobo I discovered the vid card was missing one set of screws on each side to hold the stock cooler on and the sides of the card are beat and warn looking, now I'm really pi**ed. It's now 5:30AM and I can't see straight so I go to bed.

And I'm getting to the PSU part. Now with some sleep and can think I forgot I had bought PSU tester about 6 months ago. I pull it out and tested this thing twice with the same results.

+5V=5.1
+12V1=12.2
+3.3V=3.4

-12V=11.9
+12V2=LL
5VSB=5.1
PG=520

So obviously that's why the tester constantly beeps because of the low rail. Hey guys, I never used one these before but I knew I would need one eventually.

I didn't know what the LL meant on the +12V2 and then I found this article (see link) where this guy got the same results and he says it's bad.
http://www.dreamwarecomputers.com/reviews_2006/casebuy_psutesterlcd/index.htm

Thanks in advance everyone!

It may be that my system is running outside the lines but my PSU output under load is
core 2.43v
Aux 3.66v
+3.3v = 3.25v
+5v = 5.46v
+12v = 11.49v
-12v = -10.79v
-5v = -4.45v
so I don't think it is your PSU is at fault.
I would disconnect everything except the CPU (+ fan), speaker and the PSU. Boot and you should get a string of beeps. This is good; no beeps is bad. Power off. Fit the RAM and reboot - if you have on board VGA you should get 1 beep and something on the monitor. No on-board VGA - power off and fit a graphics card that you know is good. Boot and hopefully 1 beep.
Keep adding things until you find out what stops it.

Hi Albert,

She is up and running good so far. I discovered the sata power adapters that came with the PSU are not passing power through for some reason. I changed to another cable and re-seated everything on the board and re-applied TIM (MX-2). As soon as I changed this cable I had power to the HD. I think the adapters are bad cuz the power is on target with the PSU itself.
The ram was the first thing I reinstalled and I discovered that it took 3 pushes to fully seat them. Last time I didn't do this so I knew then that was one of the problems. The mobo is mounted on top on this tech station so you get a good clear view of everything close up and you would never notice this with a naked eye, it looked like it was fully seated.

See before when I turned it on I literally had no sound, nothing worked except the fan to the Enzotech Ultra. All is well, I guess this is how we learn.

Thanks for the advice Albert, take care.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get to the stress testing.

Ya, I hear ya.

Boy, this quad is a switch from my oldie but goodie AMD. It can definiately handle some major multitasking, something my poor AMD couldn't do anymore. It's going to be a interesting adventure up a head.

I hope AMD gets their stuff together and produces a killer chip.

You may be right - but at the moment I have a nice little E6600 chip in there and the fan noise is from the PSU. Perhaps a new PSU with a few more watts?

Oh, so it's the PSU fan. More wattage is a good thing.

Speaking of PSU's, I threw on the two Sata power cables that came with the PSU and hooked them up to the PSU and I got power. The only thing I can think of I some how didn't push it in all the way on the end of the drive. I guess that's what happens when you do things after you have been up all night troubleshooting.

You can't even hear this Seasonic run, it's that quiet. It has a 120mm fan on top and a 60mm on the side that will kick in at a certain temperature.

Oh hey, guess what! I won a 1200watt Thermaltake Tough Power. I entered a contest from Extreme Outer Vision Competition by answering 3 questions about the TT Tough Power and then you submit and see if they draw your name. They contacted me a few days ago. When I seen the prizes being offered I said to myself hmm, be nice to win the PSU. Now that I won it I don't have nothing to put it in :haha: :haha: :haha:

I hinted to my other half I need to build another system so it can have a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back