TechSpot

Can you power a PC with more than one PSU

By beef_jerky4104
Mar 25, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well can you do it? Say I have a 500W ATX PSU, but I don't have enough 4 pin molex connectors. Well for one I should probably get a new PSU, or get a couple of Y-Spliters. But could I use 2 PSUs.

So could I power all of my core components with the 500W PSU (e.g. Mobo, CPU...).

And then for DVD/CD-ROM Drives use an old AT PSU. Oh yeah it could also power my molex fans right?

Would that work?
  2. Bluemouse

Bluemouse TS Rookie Posts: 405

Do you have the case room?
  3. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Posts: 267

Besides physical case limitations, I don't see why not. As far as I know the PSU operates independently of other components.
  4. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Yeah but arent the ATX spec activated by the Mobo, how would you turn it on, the AT IS ok it just needs hooking up to a power switch.
  5. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

SOcRatEs wrote a nice guide on How to build a dual PSU system using 1 power ON button, however that method only works with ATX PSUs.

since the old "AT" PSUs used a simple DPST on/off switch, you could simply use your own switch (or relay to turn it on and off with the ATX PSU)

cheers :wave:
  6. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Might be worth it to just invest in a new PSU. For a 500W PSU to not have enough molex plugs must mean that either A) it is of low quality and should not be used anyway, or B) you have WAY too many things in your computer using molex plugs.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.