Can you solve the mystical Radeon Boot Problem of Death??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently being hastled by what I refer to as the mystical Radeon boot problem of death...

I installed my new 9550 correctly after upgrading from my GeForce2 (im a simple man), but the first time I booted with the 9550...monitor goes into standby and windows doesnt boot.

So I take the 9550 out and put the GF2 back in. Windows boots (I hear the lovely welcome music), but the monitor is still in standby.

So I take the GF2 out and put the 9550 back in. Windows boots fine and the montior is working perfectly.

So now, everytime Windows shuts down, to get it booted again, i have to take the radeon out, geforce in, boot, shut down, geforce out, radeon in. Needless to say I have been using standby as much as possible.

My offer to you is that if you can offer any insight to my problem, I promise you and three others a trip to my elusive choclate factory, where your wildest dreams will come true...

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

From the look of it, it may be a driver/irq conflict?
The nVidia may not be completly uninstalled.

1. If these are both agp cards, what speed is the agp set to in the bios?
2. Also what is the bios set to for first video boot?
3. Have you cleared the cmos?
4. Is this XP?
5. And lastly are you able to boot into Safe mode?
G'Luck!

you may want to try uwsing the reset configuration settings in the bios.
also do a google for NFR nasty file remover and run that in safemode after uninstalling the nvidia drivers.
while you are at it use NFR and have it remove all ati drivers from your system directory as well (after uninstalling the ati drivers in safe mode).
then boot into normal mode and reinstall the drivers for the ati card.
I had the same problem with an ati 9600 when i switched from a ti500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back