Canada about to drop Net Neutrality

By Canadian
Feb 8, 2007
  1. BlameCanada

BlameCanada TS Rookie Posts: 320

The thin end of the wedge :suspiciou

2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

I read the second article, what are they doing? Imposing content rights or just viewing the prices? Or both ;) ?

3. stindle

stindle TS Rookie Posts: 24

Would be bad for the high bidder to get all the bandwidth me thinks.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,351   +622

Sadly, government officials seldomly have sufficient knowledge to make an
    informed decision on technology issues. Their lobbyists get in their face and
    when the noise to signal ratio gets low enough, the noise wins.

Some how these two questions never get asked:
    1) what's the effect of doing nothing?
    2) what's the pros/cons of the nominated policy?

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,715   +397

Back a few months ago I got pretty interested in this and did some reading, and I still haven't decided whether net neutrality is good or bad, then I kind of forgot about it, and also forgot what I had learned.

and jobeard is right, the people making the decisions on things like this almost never have any first hand knowledge of the issue, and just vote for whatever is going to get them reelected or the most money.

6. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

Darn, I love net neutrality.

7. Rilla927

Rilla927 TS Rookie Posts: 152

If this BS ends up where the Telecommunications companies are going to control the price of viewing content many people won't even be able to afford a internet connection. It's all about money.

What's wrong with the way we all pay our monthly bill and get our service now? Obviously they don't think we are even entiltled too that.

They don't own the content that we view. This makes me so mad. Greedy SOB's.

8. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 228

This is a win/win for the Canadian Telcos and the Canadian government. The Telcos will undoubtedly get a large raise in fees overall from this new policy and the government, of course, will get more taxes based on these higher fees. Follow the money.

9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

The local slang was difficult to understand in both articles.

10. Billion

Billion TS Rookie

If you support net neutrality in Canada, consider joining our Facebook group where we're discussing ways to bolster this cause.

In addition, neutrality.ca has been reinstated under new ownership. If you don't think control of the internet should be handed over to the telcos, please please please sign this petition!! Thanks.

By the way, I'm really sorry if this is considered spam. I only just thought of that - please don't blacklist me. =/

11. VicRic

VicRic TS Rookie Posts: 44

Sorry for diverting the focus of the thread but I think the following link is at least tangentially -is that a word?- related to the issue of dropping the net neutrality in Canada.

I listen to http://Groovera.com and it's so cool. I think it's located in Seattle, WA. Apparently they will get into trouble starting July 15.

Please read and consider the following link:

http://action.freepress.net/campaign/netradio

Thnx

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,708   +1,887

Ignorance is Bliss, Stupidity is it's own reward...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.