TechSpot

Canary is the world's first smart home security device for everyone

By Shawn Knight
Jul 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A smart home security device by the name of Canary has launched on Indiegogo following more than a year of design and testing. It is described as the world’s first consumer security product and is said to be extremely simple...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,153   +1,427

I almost started taking it seriously, till I reached the last lines about it being yet another kick-starter idea...

It is lame for Techspot not to highlight that fact in the title or in the first lines of text. You could do better, Shawn!

H3llion likes this.
  3. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 962   +205

Also, hardly for everyone if it only support iOS (and possibly Android later).

Dj23 likes this.
  4. Kickstarter is a definite positive - the world needs to move away from banks and interest-based financing.

What IS bad about this is that, were it to take off, the N S A, etc would, sooner or later, gain access to their systems and basically have spycams in everyone's home. Let's face it, that's where we are heading. If we are not justified (according to their ilk) in keeping our communications private, it is but a matter of time until they argue that they should be able to spy inside our homes, after all, where do ter rorists spend most of their time developing if not in the secret space of their own homes. Ten years tops.

5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

The title cant be too wordy and it has to get to a point. It could be a bit more clear, but it is fine.

This is an interesting concept nonetheless. I wont be surprised if this gets funding by security companies.

H3llion likes this.
  6. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

<quote>Techspot not to highlight that fact in the title or in the first lines of text</quote>

They did - the very first sentence....
    <quote>launched on Indiegogo </quote>

They were even nice enough to link you to Indiegogo in-case you didn't know it was a Kickstarter-like site.

Reading comprehension wins again!

VitalyT likes this.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,153   +1,427

That wasn't obvious :) Like others, I usually start clicking on stuff after I get interested in the subject... ;)

P.S. If you intend to use quotes here, surround them with square brackets ;)

8. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,918   +685

Nice idea all the way up to the "cloud based" part, I don't know about anyone else here, but from my perspective anything in the cloud isn't secure, I'd rather it skipped the cloud nonsense and you connected to the device directly, If someone is going to buy a networked security device they should already know how to reserve IP Addresses and open the corrects ports to it, I know the way they did it takes this complication out of the equation but It also lessens the security from my perspective, If they had a model which hosted everything itself (say you could pop in a 2.5 inch HDD for example) even if it was more expensive I would still purchase it over any of the others.

9. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Guru Posts: 435   +24

All is good until it gets hacked then it is a snooping device.