Canary is the world's first smart home security device for everyone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A smart home security device by the name of Canary has launched on Indiegogo following more than a year of design and testing. It is described as the world’s first consumer security product and is said to be extremely simple (and inexpensive) to use and own.

Inside the cylinder-shaped Canary is an HD camera with night vision and 170 degree wide angle lens, Wi-Fi, high quality microphone and speaker, RGB LEDs, 3-axis accelerometer, motion detection (passive infrared), temperature sensor and an air quality sensor.

The hardware certainly sounds impressive but perhaps it will be the software that will really sell Canary. Once plugged in, the device can be set up within 30 seconds. Canary learns your behavior over time and will adjust alerts accordingly, we’re told.

An accompanying app for iOS (Android and iPad support expected later this year) allows you to keep an eye on everything while you are away and will send alerts directly to your phone if an unexpected visitor arrives or the device detects carbon monoxide in the air. As is the new trend, everything is stored in the cloud.

canary home security

As of writing, the campaign still has 36 days remaining and has already raised more than $85,000 of the necessary $100,000 to turn Canary into a reality. You’ll need to plunk down at least $199 to get your name on the pre-order list as the two cheaper early bird options ($149 and $169) have already sold out.

The company estimates initial orders will be fulfilled in May of 2014 but as with all crowdsourced projects, nothing is ever for certain.

Permalink to story.

I almost started taking it seriously, till I reached the last lines about it being yet another kick-starter idea...

It is lame for Techspot not to highlight that fact in the title or in the first lines of text. You could do better, Shawn!

Kickstarter is a definite positive - the world needs to move away from banks and interest-based financing.

What IS bad about this is that, were it to take off, the N S A, etc would, sooner or later, gain access to their systems and basically have spycams in everyone's home. Let's face it, that's where we are heading. If we are not justified (according to their ilk) in keeping our communications private, it is but a matter of time until they argue that they should be able to spy inside our homes, after all, where do ter rorists spend most of their time developing if not in the secret space of their own homes. Ten years tops.

I almost started taking it seriously, till I reached the last lines about it being yet another kick-starter idea...

It is lame for Techspot not to highlight that fact in the title or in the first lines of text. You could do better, Shawn!
The title cant be too wordy and it has to get to a point. It could be a bit more clear, but it is fine.

This is an interesting concept nonetheless. I wont be surprised if this gets funding by security companies.

<quote>Techspot not to highlight that fact in the title or in the first lines of text</quote>

They did - the very first sentence....
<quote>launched on Indiegogo </quote>

They were even nice enough to link you to Indiegogo in-case you didn't know it was a Kickstarter-like site.

Reading comprehension wins again!

<quote>Techspot not to highlight that fact in the title or in the first lines of text</quote>

They did - the very first sentence....
<quote>launched on Indiegogo </quote>

They were even nice enough to link you to Indiegogo in-case you didn't know it was a Kickstarter-like site.

Reading comprehension wins again!

That wasn't obvious :) Like others, I usually start clicking on stuff after I get interested in the subject... ;)

P.S. If you intend to use quotes here, surround them with square brackets ;)

Nice idea all the way up to the "cloud based" part, I don't know about anyone else here, but from my perspective anything in the cloud isn't secure, I'd rather it skipped the cloud nonsense and you connected to the device directly, If someone is going to buy a networked security device they should already know how to reserve IP Addresses and open the corrects ports to it, I know the way they did it takes this complication out of the equation but It also lessens the security from my perspective, If they had a model which hosted everything itself (say you could pop in a 2.5 inch HDD for example) even if it was more expensive I would still purchase it over any of the others.

Back