Cannot access Administrative Tools

By commtech07
Aug 12, 2007
  1. Hello, I am new to this web site and would like to find out about a problem I just discovered today. I am running Win XP Pro X64 SP2 on my PC and today while trying to solve a problem with a new external hard drive I discovered another problem. I am able to access the Admistrative Tools, but once there I am not able to access any of the componetnts of the tools menu except for the component services, event viewer, and data sources (ODBC). Any time I click on any other item it brings up the event viewer, even when logged in as the system administrator. I have looked at the propreties for the other items and it always give the path name for the event viewer. I have never seen this before even when using WK pro, and Win XP pro 32 bit edition. Can someone out there help me out with this issue. Do I need do go in and change the path name, or have I contracted a virus of some type that is not letting me access these components?
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Not sure if this will help or not, but have you tried right clicking on My Computer and choosing Manage? That should give you access to quite a few tools found in the Administrative Tools.

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
    A message for all newcomers.
    SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
  3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

It would be unusual, indeed, for a virus to prevent appropriate detection of these units, which are fundamental. Any operational problems otherwise?
    Is your copy of Windows XP Pro X64 a full version? If so, I would cold boot to the disc and Select REPAIR mode which will allow a return to the routine settings.
  4. commtech07

commtech07 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Able to access through My Computer

Thanks for the quick replys, I am able to access the admin tools by right clikcing on My Computer and then choosing manage. If memory serves me correctly though I don't remember having this problem when I first installed Windows. As fa as I know the copy taht I have is a full copy, it is an June 2006 Systems Student Media/Work At Home Media version, does this make a difference?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.