Cannot access Administrative Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new to this web site and would like to find out about a problem I just discovered today. I am running Win XP Pro X64 SP2 on my PC and today while trying to solve a problem with a new external hard drive I discovered another problem. I am able to access the Admistrative Tools, but once there I am not able to access any of the componetnts of the tools menu except for the component services, event viewer, and data sources (ODBC). Any time I click on any other item it brings up the event viewer, even when logged in as the system administrator. I have looked at the propreties for the other items and it always give the path name for the event viewer. I have never seen this before even when using WK pro, and Win XP pro 32 bit edition. Can someone out there help me out with this issue. Do I need do go in and change the path name, or have I contracted a virus of some type that is not letting me access these components?

Not sure if this will help or not, but have you tried right clicking on My Computer and choosing Manage? That should give you access to quite a few tools found in the Administrative Tools.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

It would be unusual, indeed, for a virus to prevent appropriate detection of these units, which are fundamental. Any operational problems otherwise?
Is your copy of Windows XP Pro X64 a full version? If so, I would cold boot to the disc and Select REPAIR mode which will allow a return to the routine settings.

Able to access through My Computer

Thanks for the quick replys, I am able to access the admin tools by right clikcing on My Computer and then choosing manage. If memory serves me correctly though I don't remember having this problem when I first installed Windows. As fa as I know the copy taht I have is a full copy, it is an June 2006 Systems Student Media/Work At Home Media version, does this make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back