Cannot access setup page or the web

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, suddenly I can't access the web on my network. I have four, XP pro computers wired to a Linksys AG241 modem/router. All but one, mine, wont access the web or the setup page on 192.168.1.1. The other computers all work perfectly. I can even ping my gateway and yahoo.com but if after enabling the network and trying to go online IE6 tells me 'no connection is currently available'. This fault appears to have happened overnight. Apart from 'pinging' what other tests can I carry out? I spent about an hour 'chatting' and following Linksys advice on settings all to no avail. Please help.

Ping

I don't know what's the difference? I type Ping in command followed by 192.168.1.1 and get 4 replies on the other computers but unreachable on mine. I've just tried again and now get a message saying I can't disable my LAN connection because 'the connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug n play' I am now also on Local area connection 3, where might 1 and 2 hidden and how (if necessary) can they be deleted? Thanks, Don.

It may be IE itself or your winsock2 has become corrupt. Try this from a command window
netsh winsock reset catalog
or Try LSPfix http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
or try another browser like firefox.

If you are pinging ok more than likely your hardware is fine.

Something happened with the winsock command but there's no change. Down-loaded LSPfix and ran it. Got a message 'entry point not found' I had installed IE7 some weeks back and all was well but removed it when the problem started thinking it might be the cause. I've even tried Firefox. Unfortunately I had turned off system restore so I can't even restore to a good point! Don

gguerra said:
It may be IE itself or your winsock2 has become corrupt. Try this from a command window
netsh winsock reset catalog
or Try LSPfix http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
or try another browser like firefox.

If you are pinging ok more than likely your hardware is fine.

All of a sudden things are working although I still can't disable the network connection - it says something else maybe using the device... Thanks for uor input. Don.

donclarke77 said:
Hi, how do you ping IP or DNS. I am familiar with pinging 127.0.0.1 etc and using yahoo.com is this what you mean? Thanks for your input. Don.

For future reference don:
open up a command prompt and type:
ping www.bbc.co.uk (and await a response), then type
ping 212.58.224.86 (IP address of www.bbc.co.uk)

If say the www.bbc.co.uk failed then you would most likely have a DNS issue.
That's basically all I asking.

pinging 127.0.0.1 is just a loca loopback and means nothing really. Same a 192.168.1.1 its pinging local network which doesn't prove anything relating to the problem you had.

Glad you more or less fixed it though.

k.jacko said:
Same a 192.168.1.1 its pinging local network which doesn't prove anything relating to the problem you had.

If the router is at the stated address, then
every system must be able to ping it or there's no access to anything.

If you have file/print sharing, then each system must be able to ping all others too.

ping www.bbc.co.uk (and await a response), then type
ping 212.58.224.86 (IP address of bbc.co.uk)

mapping url->ip addresses is performed using
nslookup url (w/o the http : //) which will return the ip address and the inverse works too
nslookup ip-address, returning the site domain name.

network

Hi All, my network is now up and running. I think it was the winsock command that was suggested that did the trick. Thank you all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back