Cannot boot PC

By SteamPower
Feb 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I turned my laptop on to get this message:

File: \Boot\Bcd
    Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

Boot recovery failed so I re-installed win 7 but the message came straight up again. I cannot wipe with DBAN (it doesn't seem to work on my laptop), so I tried unplugging the hard drive and formatting several times with an external HDD dock on my desktop (with windows partition editor not on quick format) - however after installing win 7 again I still get this message.

Could this still be a virus? What hardware could it be?

I ran a hardware diagnostic and a diagnostic just on the HDD, but all passed fine.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

What is the make and model of the laptop? Is the hard drive seen in the bios? You may have to install a new laptop hard drive to get the laptop working again, if the motherboard isn't bad
  3. SteamPower

SteamPower TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply - its a sony vaio. I ran a hardware and hdd test and all came back positive.I'm worried that if I by a new hdd something else will be wrong :(
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

If I was working on this myself, I would try another hard drive. A laptop's built-in tests may not be good enough