Cannot browse internet but can use chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helixeagle

Hey,

I have a bit of an odd issue here, wonder if anyone can help?

My brother recently started up his PC to no Internet, currently he uses Firefox, he opens up the browser and any site he tries to visit stays in a state of looking for but it never finds it, so ultimately it says the page cannot be displayed, now before anyone asks we have tried IE as well as IE7, no luck, in addition we have completely removed the firewall and tried reinstalling the browsers and still nothing.

Now several online programs we use, like Steam, Xfire, MSN etc all connect fine and he can talk to people through them across the internet. So the issue is mainly browsing the internet, plus any downloads do not seem to work, that we can get to anyway (through Xfire or Steam updates)

Checking through I found that we can ping his machine, my machine, and any other machines in the house so the network is fine, I can also confirm that this is purely his PC as any other machine can browse the internet with no issues, we have checked the router and this is set correctly and so is the internet protocol, this is currently all user configured (and has been for years working)

The current IP has been assigned however if we change this to automatic the internet works and everything is fine, this is not ideal though as we have the pc on a network (LAN and such) and of course this isn’t going to work in the long run.

Has any body experienced this before? Now I will say one thing that is interesting, the last thing we did was install the .Net framework followed by ATI catalyst control centre, this is when the computer was turned off and when we came back to it the following morning this has happened.

Uninstalled the .Net framework and it still doesn’t work, so we also uninstalled ATI CCC, again nothing, however we uninstall anything ATI and it works! Once ATI drivers and such are put back it reverts back to not working! This is really confusing, and I’m not to good with networking so if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it, thanks!

leave the ATI drivers off get the .Net framework, and anything else needed installed, and the internet working. then use an older ATI driver.

Also try looking for a possible viruses or other malware through HiJackThis(available in the Download section of this site). Don't post the log you get directly to the post. Attatch it. I'll talk to howard_hopkinso, he'll help you out.

-sw123

HijackThis is not available in the TS downloads section. You have to read the sticky threads in the Security and the Web forum in order to get it.

Sorry, my mistake, it is available in the TS downloads section. It is still a better idea to read the stickies and follow those instructions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back