Cannot connect to my router. 2 seperate errors "wifi and Ethernet do not have valid IP configuration

Sweaton

Tried Winsock reset, I've set up my own IP address through the adapter settings and reset both the network adapters. When I restart the computer the online help and videos say it should be fixed but the error persists. The only time its changed is when the error said something about DHCP not being found which quickly changed back to the original error

Should say this is on an asus laptop

Last edited:
Tried Winsock reset, I've set up my own IP address through the adapter settings and reset both the network adapters. When I restart the computer the online help and videos say it should be fixed but the error persists. The only time its changed is when the error said something about DHCP not being found which quickly changed back to the original error

Should say this is on an asus laptop
WHY are you trying to manually configure? By all means, first get the auto config to work by using DHCP- - especially on a laptop.

WHY are you trying to manually configure? By all means, first get the auto config to work by using DHCP- - especially on a laptop.
I was watching a video and it told me to try that as a possible solution. How do I get DHCP to work?

Last edited:
First, empty out all the stuff you altered in the Network Adapters and set Auto IP and Auto DHCP, save the change.

Disconnect your router from the Internet ISP modem - - yes I mean that.
Now connect your PC to any router LAN slot

Get a command prompt and enter IPCONFIG, it should look like:
Code:
ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : socal.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : xxx.yyy.com
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1      << THIS IS THE ROUTER'S address
If that works (you may have different numbers, but they're all present)
The DHCP did work :) Disconnect the PC.

Now reconnect your router to the ISP Modem and then reconnect the PC to the router.
rerun IPCONFIG

make two other tests:
Both should have timing data and no timeouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, empty out all the stuff you altered in the Network Adapters and set Auto IP and Auto DHCP, save the change.

Disconnect your router from the Internet ISP modem - - yes I mean that.
Now connect your PC to any route LAN slot

Get a command prompt and enter IPCONFIG, it should look like:
Code:
ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : socal.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : xxx.yyy.com
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1      << THIS IS THE ROUTER'S address
If that works (you may have different numbers, but they're all present)
The DHCP did work :) Disconnect the PC.

Now reconnect your router to the ISP Modem and then reconnect the PC to the router.
rerun IPCONFIG

make two other tests:
Both should have timing data and no timeouts.
I'll do my best. Thank you

It worked, but It screwed with my friends wifi and she wasnt able to connect. She was getting the same error I was. We were able to reverse it kinda and I kept my ethernet (couldn't connect via wifi) as she was able to log back on via wifi. Then I left. I went back a few days ago and was getting the same error. I tried your fix a second time and it didnt work so we gave up.

What is the ip address listed in the command prompt with the particular adaptor you try to connect with that won't connect(either Ethernet or wireless) when your router is connected to the isp modem? Is it a 169.254.etc? That is an invalid ip address. Also, can you find the default ip address of the isp's modem on the info label on the modem.

Last edited:
Then you are not getting a DHCP response. Have you scanned for virus' ?

Then you are not getting a DHCP response. Have you scanned for virus' ?
I did, but I fixed it. Somehow. I plugged my computer into the modem and did IPCONFIG. And when I plugged the modem back into the router and connected my laptop via ethernet I had connectivity

Back