Cannot connect to net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I'm in a fix now.

The computer in question can connect to just about anything on the network (with 2 other comps), but won't connect to the net. That means it can connect to the other 2 comps, access and copy files from them, can access the router/switch and change settings, etc, but won't connect to the net.

The other 2 comps can connect with no problems at all.

I've changed the cables, I've changed the NICs used, the only way I can connect to the internet is if I connected straight to the modem (and switched the settings from bridged to non-bridged).

I've switched off windows firewall. I've got anti-vir on, but doesn't help if I switched it off.

I might also mention that barely 24 hours ago I was happily connected. I messed around with the router/switch, but it was the usual stuff I do when the net's down (and it was down about 12 hours ago). Check if bridged option on, check if username password correct, stuff I used to always do when the power goes out and resets the router/switch (till I realised there's a save option).

Anyway, I believe it has something to do with my comp.

Any idea what may be causing this?

Briged connections I'm pretty sure don't allow you to use the internet. Hopefully someone will be able to answer you question.

Best of luck

I still can't connect to the net.

Update: I can download crap from the net now, cos I have port forwarding apparently. However, I still can't surf.

I checked the logs on the router/switch and it doesn't record any upstream data (requests for sites) from both IE and FF.

I'm so frustrated right now....

There`s an information rich thread here - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic43486.html
Notably Sifugregs excellent post(where he now ?) It`specifically about wireless,but a lot the ideas are the same.

In fact it`s worth quoting here -

"If you can point your browser at your router and get a login then most of your battle is done. You need to look at the status page of said router and note the WAN IP Address. If it's 0.0.0.0, you need to reboot the router. Sounds funny but I've seen routers unable to get DHCP from their modem until it's reboot and re-registers itself. If you have your firewalling turned off, then check the router's security and make sure WEP encryption isn't set. Although it's a good idea to have this on and I highly recommend it, for troubleshooting, shut it down until you can make things work. Basically, if your computer has an IP address from the router and the router has an IP address from the Cable Modem then everything should work.

One important topic. Your ethernet card should be set to DHCP. If you choose to set it to static, make sure the DNS entry is set to the router's address (I think it's normally 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 out of the box). The router will forward DNS requests properly. If you put in incorrect DNS entries in your network settings, you will get this symptom. To determine if it's a DNS problem, go to a command prompt and ping 216.109.112.135 If you get a return but not from pint yahoo.com, then you havea DNS problem. If there is no return from the IP address, then you still havea routing problem."

It's not something stupid like you accidently turned off the TCP/IP protocol on that NIC? No never mind you said you could connect if were direct to modem. So it's in the router somewhere. And I don't "do" routers.

Your problem seems pretty complicated. On that computer that does not connect. Check to make sure your the necessary services to connect to the internet are on (im not sure what they are exactly, but it goes from Telephony to Computer Browser and a few others) Check in that NIC settings to make sure you didn't turn somethin off that should be on =P

Try checking the other computers NIC and services.msc settings and compare. Make them identical if that helps.

If none of that does the trick, then you can try asking some internet experts here: http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

Peddant: I can connect to the net from the other 2 computers on the network. he advice you ot was very good tho, as I do get disconnected from the net once in awhile (usually due to ISP problems, but I check my own stuff anway).

kirock: Its probably my computer. I can download stuff using Azureus. Legally of course :)

trupflip: I have checked the necessary services over and over again already. I even installed some unnecessary ones.

Everything seems identical to me from here.... What should I be looking for?

Thanks for all the help, I might just post a thread in dslreports.com and see if they got a better idea. Keep posting if you have something juicy tho :D

not sure why you are using bridging,
but the bridge creates a virtual nic
that is the one that needs to be setup for dns
do you see it in my connections???

please give a brief outline of how your system is connected to the modem

Sorry, its not bridging on the comp. I need it on the modem itself to connect to the router/switch. Don't worry about that bit, its always been working like that.

Anyway, here's how my comps are networked.

Dynalink RTA100 (modem) - Netgear MR814 v2 (router/switch (wireless)) - 3 comps (all wired connection).

I don't use the wireless on the router/switch. Got it cheap.

the dns of the nics are set to the dns servers your isp gave you ther are normally 2 of them
I'm sure you know this info
here's the quick check list
any static router router number you use
local
wan internet
some numbers for isp address and default wan gateway
2 internet dns ip address's WAN
on the nic side static fix
dns
the 2 dns's given from isp

it is more likely the router
should have a hole to set defaults if that does not work maybe upgrade the firmware and then reset defaults always reset defaults after firmware upgrades
as all the cables could not have gone bad at the same time
you may have to bite the bullet an get a new router cheap you say aha

Fixed the problem. I feel so stupid now. But then again, the guys in the other forum didn't pick it up neither (although they could've with the info I gave them).

I've accidentally set my DNS numbers wrongly. I gave the ISP tech support a ring (cos they're giving me a free upgrade soon, and wanted to know something about it), and just shot the question at them. Fixed within 5 mins.

Didn't call them earlier, cos they didn't support my router, They always hang up on me once I told them my comp isn't connected to the router they sent (I need more ports, what don't you guys understand!! :p).

Anyways, thats the end of that chapter. Now, for a new one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back