Cannot copy files on xp setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-installing XP on a HP DV6174ea.

This laptop has run Ubuntu with no problems and on installing windows xp i can see the drive and get past formatting. But when it starts copying files, many of them fail to copy...

Setup cannot copy file: .....
to retry press enter
to skip press escape
etc...

some off the files:
kodac_dc.icm
mdwmdmsp.dll
nikedrv.sys
rio8drv.sys
riodrv.sys
spnike.dll
sprio600.dll
to many more to list..

I have tried everything and searched all the forums with no luck. Any ideas or hopefully solutions?

In that case, it's either the optical drive is faulty, or its data cable, or a ram error, or a hard drive fault.

First thing to do would be to google and get memtest and run it for atleast 7 passes.

Thing is i have ubuntu running a ok on a partition so that should rule out any errors, shouldnt it?

other thing is to get round installing seperate sata drivers i have disabled native sata. was that a big error??? will try again with a slipstreamed disk and native sata enabled.

thanks so far

I have seen a similar problem to your one on TS before, don't think it was ever resolved.
Perhaps it's something to do with the way the hdd is partitioned? Just a guess!

yeah thats what ive been finding...never been resolved.

so still experiencing problems after i slipstreamed xp with the sata drivers, im pretty sure its not the hard disk

there is a so called recovery cd on its way from hp! maybe that will work

not happy.

I had the same problem installing xp home & it had something to do with the partitions & also the file system. After a little reasearch & people telling me that it was the storage, others saying it was RAM, it really had something to do with the partitioning of the disk. I booted up partition magic software first (which was on another disk), formated the drive that I was trying to install xp on and deleted any other partitions located on my disk, Other than one logic drive - I left that. Applied changes & rebooted.

Wacked in xp home & booted from disk. When it came to the section "leave current file system", "format using ntfs", "format using ntfs <quick>", it also had an option in this section to convert to fat32 file system in which I picked. It ran xp fine.

FYI If you can get partition magic, you can change the files system of each partition but it didn't work for me
Local Compuer Repairs - NSW, Australia
lcrgosford.com

I experienced the same problem too. i burned numbers of xp installer and yet same problem occur. I do lot diagnosting like changing ide cables, use another hard disk, etc but still same problem again. last thing i got in mind is to pull out one of my RAM (older one) and again try to install. And xp installation run smoothly until finished. I therefore conlude that my RAM is the problem not the cd's

from vhinsman02
philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back