Cannot copy files on xp setup

By lessthan-jake
Dec 8, 2007
  1. Re-installing XP on a HP DV6174ea.

This laptop has run Ubuntu with no problems and on installing windows xp i can see the drive and get past formatting. But when it starts copying files, many of them fail to copy...

Setup cannot copy file: .....
    to retry press enter
    to skip press escape

some off the files:
    to many more to list..

I have tried everything and searched all the forums with no luck. Any ideas or hopefully solutions?
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

What condition is your windows cd in? Is it dirty or scratched?
  3. lessthan-jake

lessthan-jake TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have tried 3 different copies of windows xp, home and xp. i have copied disks aswell. :/
  4. Rik

In that case, it's either the optical drive is faulty, or its data cable, or a ram error, or a hard drive fault.

First thing to do would be to google and get memtest and run it for atleast 7 passes.
  5. lessthan-jake

Thing is i have ubuntu running a ok on a partition so that should rule out any errors, shouldnt it?

other thing is to get round installing seperate sata drivers i have disabled native sata. was that a big error??? will try again with a slipstreamed disk and native sata enabled.

thanks so far
  6. Rik

I have seen a similar problem to your one on TS before, don't think it was ever resolved.
    Perhaps it's something to do with the way the hdd is partitioned? Just a guess!
  7. lessthan-jake

yeah thats what ive been finding...never been resolved.

so still experiencing problems after i slipstreamed xp with the sata drivers, im pretty sure its not the hard disk

there is a so called recovery cd on its way from hp! maybe that will work

not happy.

CRITICALSins TS Rookie

Bump for answers, i have the same exact problem, cd has been checked and just bought a new hardrive and still nothing.

CRITICALSins TS Rookie

well, i fixed my computer some time ago. It was the RAM cards. so im sure will be the same for you guys.
  10. lcrgosford

lcrgosford TS Rookie

I had the same problem installing xp home & it had something to do with the partitions & also the file system. After a little reasearch & people telling me that it was the storage, others saying it was RAM, it really had something to do with the partitioning of the disk. I booted up partition magic software first (which was on another disk), formated the drive that I was trying to install xp on and deleted any other partitions located on my disk, Other than one logic drive - I left that. Applied changes & rebooted.

Wacked in xp home & booted from disk. When it came to the section "leave current file system", "format using ntfs", "format using ntfs <quick>", it also had an option in this section to convert to fat32 file system in which I picked. It ran xp fine.

FYI If you can get partition magic, you can change the files system of each partition but it didn't work for me
    Local Compuer Repairs - NSW, Australia
  11. vhinsman02

vhinsman02 TS Rookie

I experienced the same problem too. i burned numbers of xp installer and yet same problem occur. I do lot diagnosting like changing ide cables, use another hard disk, etc but still same problem again. last thing i got in mind is to pull out one of my RAM (older one) and again try to install. And xp installation run smoothly until finished. I therefore conlude that my RAM is the problem not the cd's

from vhinsman02
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.