Cannot delete a file!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I cannot delete a few files i downloaded from limewire... when i press delete, nothing happens, when i right click them, no properties options come up, no delete file comes up or anything... Any idea of how to delete them?? confused :s

It is probably a file with a HUGE filename. Move everything else out of the directory and then in a command prompt at that directory try

ren *.* bad.tmp

Then try to delete the bad.tmp.

I had the same problem once, I think this is how I fixed it... not sure though.

Sorry explain further?

I don't know what you mean... I don't know much about computers... can you give a step to step guide...? the file name is pretty huge, yes.

whats the extension?
what happened when you opened it? did a new process start?
try restarting limewire, then try deleting it.

I know this problem

The way to delete the file is to move everything in that folder out of it then just delete the whole folder together. This is the best way other then editing the registry

There is a post a little above yours that mentions several programs useful for deleting files that just won't get deleted.

Go here"
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic36518.html

This is the place theH is talking about. You can download and install programs that will delete these files.

theonlytechguy has a good idea as well. That method sometimes works.

Other times all you need to do is change the name of the file to a small name and then delete it. Other times you also have to right click on the file, go to properties and take the check mark off of "read only".

Re-start the computer, keep pressing F8 while it's re-starting and select "enter safe mode". Now you can delete the file and restart back into "normal mode"!

Another trick i have learned is that sometimes the file is too deep. There is a proper way of saying that but i cant remember. Either way it amounts to too many folders, like this. You have a folder called archive with files in it, inside of archive is another folder called pics, inside that is another folder called country, inside is another folder called state, inside that another folder called city, inside that another folder called north, and on and on. Sometimes the system cant handle too many folders too deep into the system. Again, there is a better way of saying this but i think you will get the drift of what i am trying to say.
This has happened to me and i think its because i have my win xp pro set up using NTFS and then i have a few external hard drives set up as fat32 and a few thumb drives also as fat32. When these get moved from my main hard drive to an external hard drive i sometimes run into problems not being able to delete a file or set of files.
What i do in that case is to move the folder and files closer to the root of the drive. If the drive letter is f, then i move the folder right to f: and not inside of any other folders, then i delete it and the folder and files are then deleted.

Also, i have found the program "move on next boot" to be very useful. It will not only move a file but delete it. It works on the right click menu. You go to the file you cant delete and right click on it. Then you click on "delete file(s) on the next boot" and you will get a notification that the file will be deleted. You can go on about your business and reboot later or reboot right away, its up to you. Either way the file will be gone when you boot up the next time.

I have been using the same win xp pro for 4 yrs now and i have a ton of progs on my system and i am on the net a lot. As a result i have some malware i cant get rid of. This stuff shows up in windows\system32. All i have to do is either click on the "size" bar or the "date modified" and its easy to find the culprit. In the "size" section i will find a size of 0 or maybe 1 and todays date. There, after some experience, i find that there might be a file called "wulogon", or a file called "0", and the last one is called "faleh32". These i know are spyware or some kind of malware. Sometimes i can delete them sometimes i cant and thats where the above program comes in. Works every time without fail. I should get rid of these things but either i cant or wont take the time to find out how to get rid of them for good.
You can get the program here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

Hope this info helps at least one person!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back