TechSpot

Cannot Delete: Access Denied

By res0hncx
Sep 10, 2003
  1. I uninstalled Ultima Online and it left all these files on my computer that I can't delete because it says Access Denied. I can't copy/cut/delete/rename/or remove their read-only attributes. I have UO installed in a different directory now, but I can't play it because the client I use to join the free server I play want to use the old directory to launch the game. :( Please help

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Try restarting the computer, they are probably still in use for some reason. If you can't delete them after you restart then post back and we'll give another solution.

3. res0hncx

res0hncx TS Rookie Topic Starter

still can't delete... I'm thinkin Im gunna get the disk ack from my friend though so it all ok.

4. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

You could always boot into Safemode to delete the files. Just press F8 at the windows XP bootup screen.

5. res0hncx

ah good idea! I reinstalled it but it wouldnt even let me reinstall it in the same directory because of those files. I'll try safe-mode, but how do i get out of safemode when I'm done?

6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Just reboot, it should restart in normal mode.

If deleting in safe mode doesn't work, you might wan tto try something like Norton's Wipe Info or a similar utility. I've had problems with files not letting me delete them but Wipe info seems to not care and will delete them anyway.

7. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

Sometimes the files can't be deleted because they don't actually exist, and are simply showing up due to having entries in the FAT saying they exist when they don't. You should be able to delete those entries (files) from the winxp recovery console when you boot from the winxp CD.

8. res0hncx

I tried safe mode and it still wouldn't delete :(

here is what the error message says
    The disk is HALF full and it's not in use.

What is Norton Wipe Info and where can I get it?

9. filthy_mcnasty

filthy_mcnasty TS Rookie Posts: 89

maybe they are actually in use (although if it wont work in safe mode then that's odd)?

start->run->"msconfig"

click on the startup tab and untick anything that looks like it's related to your game or those files, then reboot and try deleting.

otherwise something's messed.

10. Nic

Read my post, it'll work:=).

11. res0hncx

filthy_mcnasty: I have checked already and I know it is not running

Nic: thanks for the idea, but I dont have my xp CD right now :(

12. Nic

Use this boot floppy to delete your files ...

NTFS File Recovery Floppy Creator

Edit: I'm not sure if you can delete files from that floppy, but its worth a go.

13. res0hncx

well I have no A drive on the computer with the undeletable files...can I put the disk in my other computer and delete the files over a network? also how does this program work? where can i delete files?

14. dunxd

dunxd TS Rookie

Try holding down the shift key while you delete - this bypasses the Recycle Bin, and in my experience allows you to delete files that otherwise give you an Access Denied message.

This works for deleting using the Delete key on your keyboard, and also while doing a right click > delete.

15. res0hncx

nope doesnt work :*(

16. RipsaW

RipsaW TS Rookie

getting same problem, any ideas?

tired all the above suggestions no luck.

17. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Open command prompt, run "openfiles". This lists all open files on your computer and what process is having them open.

18. RipsaW

RipsaW TS Rookie

openfiles flashed up for a second then closed, didnt have time to read it.

I just found this thread:
    http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/11280-1.html

I get to the following steps:

I am running xp sp1 same as he is, but there is no security tab or owner tab. :/

19. RipsaW

RipsaW TS Rookie

sorted it now, read it too fast didn't see you only get the security tab in safe mode :)

20. Charles Hammond

Charles Hammond TS Rookie Posts: 164

Change the directory names.

21. Jameson653

Jameson653 TS Rookie Posts: 24

Sorry, Run->Msconfig doesn't work on Windows 2K or XP, they just don't have them, trust me I tried

22. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Damned!

I guess I have been sold a Windows 98 disguised as XP since Run->msconfig sure works for me!

23. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

2k does not have it, but you can toss it on. XP I assure you has it, both Home and Pro versions.

24. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 830

I've come across this same issue several times, and this is my workaround.

Open a command prompt : Start -> Run -> cmd [enter]

navigate to the directory with the file you want to remove

Open Task Manager : [right click] Taskbar -> Task Manager

On the processes tab, select Explorer.exe, click end process

Click OK

In the command prompt, delete the files:
    del *.*
    cd..
    rd [directory]

Back to Task Manger, Click File -> New Task
    Explorer.exe

and you're done.

25. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Posts: 536

As daft as it may sound I have been able to delete such files by just renaming them, but I have to admit it doesn't always work.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.