Cannot delete folders on desktop in xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger_cole

I have about 8 folders on my destkop that are empty. I can delete them but when I reboot the pc they are back on the desktop. I have even tried to delete them with bc wipe and other erasing type programs. I do have rollback installed it's similar to goback only better. This problem started before installing rollback. No other files do I have trouble deleting. I do not have system restore turned on do not need to now that rollback is installed.
I deleted folders and they are in trash. I emptied the trash no folders inside. Not deleted in safe mode. I restarted and they reappear on the desktop. Rollback was not activated during the restart.
I checked the folder permissons and all boxes are checked but they are grayed out. The folder is set as read only and I try to change it and hit apply but they cannot be deleted. I am logged in as admin.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Now look to see if there is anything inside the folders and let us know. If they are still empty, creat a new folder on your desktop and drag the problem folders into it. Now try deleting the new folder you just created.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Regards Howard :)

If you're lucky enough to have a diskette drive in your machine you might try to insert a diskette and MOVE, not copy(!), the offending folders there. This ought to do it.

Regards, Martin A

What are the folders called and where did they come from in the first place? Is it folders that you created or a program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back