Cannot drag or drop files/icons. Move and paste is also disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

nivdav

Everytime I connect to the internet, after a while a few things start playing up..

1. I cannot drag or drop files
2. I cannot move or paste files (the option is greyed out)
3. In the Control Panel, everything has been moved to the left and there's a scroll bar in the middle of the window
4. In Add/Remove Programs, the Close button in the bottom left of the window says 'Cl&ose'
5. When I open my WINNT folder (C:/WINNT).. There's nothing in there (?)
6. In the Recycle Bin and Network and Dial-up Connections, there's just icons. No options on the left like usual

A few other things (which I'm not sure are relevant)..
1. I have a program that seems to be runing twice, called lsass.exe. Every now and again this program seems to close itself and I'm given a 60 second warning to close everything (Annoying!)
2. Another program is spoolsv.exe. Not sure what it does..
3. IElower.exe has appeared, which I think tries to connect me to a site everytime I connect to the web. A Setup Loader appears as well
4. I keep finding trojans in my system32 folder

I may have missed something (which I'll probably remember the second I post this)

I'm currently on Win2k. Is it worth me getting XP instead?

Seems it won't let me attach my HJT log atm either..
Christ I'm angry

Thanks in advance

Wow

First off, I would upgrade to XP Pro as soon as possible. Most people on this forum are going to have that. It's hard to help someone with an old operating system. I don't know what you can do, but I would backup the computer. It sounds like you have a lot of problems. I would strip the hard drive and put all of your personal files back on it. XP Pro will probably help alot though. I would get it immediately. Good Luck.

spartanslayer
your remark about an old operating system (W2K) is a load of crock.
XP is just a modernized W2K with a Fisher-Price look and a few bells and whistles.
W2K is more stable than XP, but I must admit that XP can be faster than W2K.
My own W2K was last installed in 2003 and it's as solid and fast as when it got on my PC first, not a single crash in all these years!

nivdav
you got a bunch of worms and trojans.
Read: How to remove Trojans and its ilk!

gag

WHAT! Are you saying that Windows 2000 is better than XP? I know there are flaws in XP but, It has so many useful things that W2K doesn't. I use system restore a lot. And automatic updated, support for all software, and the speed of the OS are enough reasons to get it. Future software probably won't have support for W2K. I've used it for 4 years and never had it crash. Well, never had it crash where it was the OS at fault. Only from junky programs.

spartanslayer said:
First off, I would upgrade to XP Pro as soon as possible. Most people on this forum are going to have that. It's hard to help someone with an old operating system. I don't know what you can do, but I would backup the computer. It sounds like you have a lot of problems. I would strip the hard drive and put all of your personal files back on it. XP Pro will probably help alot though. I would get it immediately. Good Luck.
opinions are like noses; everyone has one. :eek:

XP Pro is nice for commercial users
and those that like to say "I have the 'greatest and latest' xyz", but the vast
majority of the web is home users, with XP and you might be shocked to learn
that there's still a sizable population with Win/98se.

Remember: If it isn't broken, don't fixit!

Ewido scan report

I did the whole scan thing
Everything's still the same.. Have no idea what's up with this pc

I've attached my Ewido scan report

Thanks for all the feedback so far :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back