cannot enable 8X AGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyz

i recently got a new motherboard for my computer and it is better than my last Mboard, on my old board i could enable x8 AGP and it would all be fine
on this new board i cant turn on AGP it is stuck at 0x and every time i turn it to 8x on the control centre, i restart and it gos back to 0x!

this never happened before and this new motherboard dos support this because its from a friend and ive used his computer alot.

though when i put this new board in i did have to re install windows XP so can somone please tell me how i enable 8x AGP :)

i dunno if this helps but i was running sp2 on my old motherboard and on the new motherboard it was running sp2 at my friends,
i have yet to install sp2 on it dos anyone know if this is the problem?

what kind of motherboard is it??? then have you seen this new motherboard run 8x and if not are you sure that it will support the agp 8x speed... and then does the video card that you are using support the 8x speed as well?? have you installed the chipset or motherboard drivers for it yet??need all of this info to be sure where to go from here

this new motherboard is an Abit gaming motherboard and i said that ive used it myself on a different computer, it dos support AGP and fastwrite, this is why i got a new motherboard because my old one couldnt support fastwrite.

but like i said, the only thing different in my computer is a new motherboard, all the other parts are the same and i could turn on AGPx8 with no problems till i put this new one in.

if u need to know my spec is
3ghz processor
1gb ram
radeon x850 256mb
gigabyte Mboard (the OLD one)
Asus performance Mboard (New)

so in the ati catalyst center you can't enable the 8x feature make sure to save it and run right.. and this new motherboard is just and asus no model.ok then so have you checked the bios version to see if maybe you need to flash it cause it is having a hardware conflict with the video card that is in it.. have you installed the newest 6.2 ati drivers for the x850 to make that is not the problem.. i ask these questions cause i am not there with you to see exactly what is happening.. and if you don't answer the questions that we ask you then we can't help with the issue that you are having. so try and answer these questions and if you have a hard time with what they mean and are not sure if you have done these steps or you are not sure how to complete these steps let us know and we can help you through them..

ok i got the latest drivers and i cannot give the exact model of my motherboard atm but its an abit.
but i have a big feeling you are right about the bios update because i havnt done that yet.. but also i have no idea how to update bios :D

that is why it is very helpful for us here to have the motherboard make and model in case the end user ( you ) don't have the oem driver cd that came with the motherboard and can't reinstall or can't tell if it has a built in software utility like asus to do flash the bios from the internet.. did your friend give you an ABIT cd with the chipset drivers on it??if you are comfortable enough to get into the system and look around on the motherboard for any distictive writing on it....that would help out alot in determining what model it is...until then it is going to be very hard for me to tell you what drivers you need and what bios flash you need as well. let me know

sorry didn't get that last post you enetered bad refresh rate here at work... you said that you have the drivers for that mother board.. on the cd does it says something like Abit- and some numbers that could possibly be the model of the motherboard??

ok i dont have the installation CD right now it is with my friend so i will have to get that, in the meantime i guess this post will have to wait lol
when i get the disc, ill try it out and post here if its worked or not, if it hasnt ill tell you some info on the disc and the model of the board.
but for now... goodnight :)

ok my motherboard is a Abit A17-GURU
heres the link on the website to see its specs and so on..
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=63165
quickfind: 63165

and i had a chat with my friend and he said that the Motherboard supports 8xagp and he had his card settings on 8xAGP, AGP read on, AGP write on, Fast write on.
Also he is useing exactly the same graphics card as me.

i checked my bios and it said the AGP was set to 8x but is still set to 0x on the control center.

but now i do have the installation CD that came with the board but i havnt checked whats on it yet.

broken.jpg

also i have a question :)
on the BIOS, what is the AGP aparture size, what dos it do?
its set to 128mb and my graphics card is 256mb. should i turn it up or??

i think ive fixed it, i can now enable the features on control centre but i have yet to test it..
so i guess ill close this forum... unless somone can provide an answer to what AGP aparture size means in the BIOS :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back