Cannot find modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Vader

My girlfriends HP Pavilion dv8000 is having a slight problem connecting to her dial-up internet connection. Whenever she goes to connect, it proceeds to error: Cannot find modem

We have tried shutting off the computer, unplugging the phone line, and waiting 30 seconds, before restarting the computer. We tried system restore, to reset it to when the internet was working fine.

The last time we used the internet on it was last night ~ 12:00 EST, and since that she turned her computer on today, and it won't connect. Any ideas?

Drivers are up to date.

The Modem is missing in device manager, and when I ran Services.msc Telephony is Started.

Created a new connection and it gave us: Device Missing

It's not a virus, and we're not running Vista on it, so HP's support page doesn't help much. (All of the troubleshooting is for Vista)

It's not a virus, we don't use the computer for much web browsing, and when we do we always run avast. We just use it to play World of Warcraft.

Inside Device Manager, it must be installed under another name

Or Modem is disabled in Bios (CMOS\Firmware\System Setup there are too many names for this area! Although all actually different meaning)

Doh! I'm just going to be left lingering what it was that fixed it :suspiciou :confused:
Anyway, thanks for the update :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back