Cannot Get Monitor to Work with New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ylwthunder87

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 193P LCD Display. I just got my new computer which is equipped with a 7900 Geforce which only has DVI inputs. They included VGA > DVI converters so I installed one at the video card end with the VGA cable plugged into it. I then tried to put the other DVI converter to plug into my monitor but it is slightly large and won't fit on the monitor. So I attempted to just plug the VGA side directly into the monitor but I cannot get an image. I have switched from Analog to Digital on the monitor and still nothing comes up. The computer is brand new and the VGA cable works fine as I'm using it right now on my old one. Any ideas why the monitor has a slightly different DVI input and on anything that can get the monitor to work? Thanks alot!

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/sea/jsp/faqs/faqs_view.jsp?PG_ID=1&AT_ID=5639&PROD_SUB_ID=28&PROD_ID=-1
DVI, an uncompressed, digital video interface, was developed for the PC industry which was seeking a low-cost, high bandwidth digital connection between PC's and Digital Monitors. DVI keeps data in digital form from the computer to the monitor, virtually eliminating signal loss.

DVI is technology-independent. Essentially, this means that DVI is going to perform properly with any display and graphics card that is DVI compliant. If you buy a DVI monitor, and you want to take advantage of DVI video, make sure that you have a video card that has a DVI port.

Important: All current Samsung monitors that are DVI compatible have DVI-D Single Link input ports. You can use either a DVI-D Single Link cable or a DVI-D Dual Link cable. You cannot use a DVI-A (Analog) cable or a DVI-I (Integrated) cable.

The video card on your PC must be either a DVI-D Single Link output port or a DVI-I Single Link output port.

Hope this helps!

G'Luck

Would this also account for the monitor not working when DVI-A adaptor is plugged into video card and VGA into the monitor? Basically I have to get a new monitor?

Ylwthunder87 said:
Would this also account for the monitor not working when DVI-A adaptor is plugged into video card and VGA into the monitor?
What cable/adapters came with LCD?
What adapters came with video card/system?

Basically I have to get a new monitor?
No.
It's a matter of matching up adapter and cables properly.
May require a call to Samsung techsupport.

edit: check HERE>>>"HOW DO I KNOW WHICH CABLE TO USE?"

dvi-config.jpg

The adapter is DVI-A, and it connected to the monitor via a VGA cable (that came with the LCD). I also tried a DVI-D Dual Link Cable but it didn't work. I'm assuming the graphics card is incompatbile with DVI-D?

Well I've basically found the problem, you can't go Digital to Analog which is what I tried originally. The Video Card output is also Dual Link DVI-I, which explains why I can't get it to work when plugged into the monitor. Is it possible to switch a Dual Link card to Single Link or no?

Very well could. I would make use of:
If you would like assistance in selecting your cables either call us at
800-278-4002 or send an email to support@dcables.com.

Just to be certain.

G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back