Cannot get my 7950 gx2 to work properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, for a new build i recently purchased an evga 7950 GX2.
i have yet to get it to work properly.

My system is:

Asus A8N SLI deluxe mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2gigs DDR ram
600watt PS
DVD burner
80 & 160gb harddrives over 150gb free
Evga 7950 GX2

As far as i have been able to determine this should be able to work.
the problem: i can install the drivers and boot up my computer, the computer seems to be completly operational until i try to start up a game. When i try to start a game the computer freezes on a blank screen. the game i have tried that freeze are Half life 2 and other source based games, Everquest 2, and 3dmark03, all seem to freeze as soon as they try to load anything 3d, the menus will load, but it freezes when i try to start the game. for some reason i can get Oblivion to run.

when i turn the Nvidia "multi-gpu configuration" from "multi-gpu mode" to "multi-display" mode i can run all of these programs without a single problem.

i have updated my n-force4 chipset to the 6.86 version and updated the bios on my board to the ASUS 1016 bios version, with these settings nvidia's
website says that my motherboard should be compatible with the 7950 card. i have also tried this list of Drivers: 91.31, 91.33, 91.37, 91.45, 91.47, as well as the evga driver that came with the card. all have the same effect.

Is there a setting that i have missed? Could the card be bad? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

i would be very greatful for any help, thanks.

Try reposting this in "Audio and Video", and you'll get more replies.

No need - I moved it.
SNGX1275

I remmber reading on a reviwe on newegg.com that this guy returned his card and got a new one and it cleared up all the problems. My geuss the first cards were a bad batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back