Cannot get XP to boot after video problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is what happened to the best of my knowledge. I will try to keep it short.

I shut down my pc normally. The next time I turned it back on it gave me one long beep then nothing. I could hear it doing normal stuff but no display. After some research I found that the long beep means my video card..and after inspection I see the fan on the card is fried and that the card it probably no good.

I replace the card with another (and also tried two other supported cards) and I start getting Windows errors. I see the "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer...0x0000007B (0xF79B7528,0C0000034...)" error. After following further advice, I use the Windows XP (Professional btw) disk to boot up.

I ran the virus scanner and come up with nothing. I suspect the video driver is no good so I uninstall/remove the old one thinking I will come up and download one from the web for my new card. After a reboot and again booting up with the CD I find it takes a looooong time to get to the login screen. Also, now it is not detecting my onboard network card. So, now I cannot get on the internet.

I tried rebooting again. The first time I reboot I get a different error that refers to a hardware error and mentions : MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. The 2nd time through the reboot it displays the old error. But each time I try to boot up from the drive I get this sequence. Each time I reboot using the CD I get the long hang (15 minutes?) and when it finally comes up I have no network card.

I am not sure what to do now.

Delete the network card from the Hardware configuration, Right click My Computer / Properties, Hardware tab /Device Manager. Then reboot and it should pick up the network card. If this doesnt work physically remove and replace the network card, see if that picks it up

well..that seems to be my problem. It is not detecting my network adapter so I cannot remove it. It is an onboard network adapter so I cannot remove it.

In Device manager it has these items with a question mark:

Other devices
?Other PCI Bridge Device
?PCI Memory Controller
?SM Bus Controller
?Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I dont know what the top three are. I cannot find drivers for any of them on the Windows disk and cannot get on the internet to find them either.

EDIT:

After thinking about this more I decided to put in my mobo drivers disk and try looking for drivers for the items listed above just to see. It updated them all!! The first one listed above was, in fact, my network card. Now I have that going as well as the drivers to the video card. I went online and update it to the newest driver.

BUT...it still wont boot up unless I use the XP disk. I am still getting the same Windows error as I listed above.

Anyone with any other suggestions? At this point everything seems to be working but Windows still will not boot up from the drive...only by using the CD.

Is there some place that says exactly where to find out what Windows thinks is wrong so I can correct it?

I tried to use the Windows repair technique but I cannot find it on the disk. I am also worried that it is not the right thing to do and that I will cause more problems.

Shorti0918

Go into Windows/minidump and post the .dmp files that are inside this folder. This will help us diagnose the problem.

You say you can't boot into Windows without the disc. Usually when you boot from disc it automatically goes into setup and if it boots into the Windows XP startup screen, its not booting off the disc I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for the response. I have seen all the post regarding minidumps but when I looked in C:\Windows I do not see any files or directories that say anything about *dump* at all. Does this mean no dump was taken or there is something not turned on?

I found something that referred to "small memory dump" in the Startup and Recovery window. I couldnt find this window and after some research I found info on downloading it. I did this but still cannot get this window to come up...it sounds like it is suppose to just come up before the login screen as an option after a reboot but nothing comes up.

You found the right place to configure it. Make sure small minidump is selected and look at the directory it has listed.

Try to find that directory. If it doesn't exist, then another bsod may have to happen in order for it to create and write to that directory.

thanks for the responses. I found that it was looking at a 2nd version of Windows that is on the slave drive. I disconnected the drive and booted up fine. I then reattached the 2nd drive and it is no longer causing a problem.

Something must have happened at the same time that I lost my network card settings that made it start booting on the slave version.

I am working on removing the xp version on the slave to avoid the problem next time I have a hardware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back