Cannot install any operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacholt

hey guys i was running vista ulktimate on my pc however my wifi dongle isn't vista capable so i decided to go back to xp. i formatted the HD and went through the steps on xp to the part where all the files had been copied and the computer needed to restart. upon restart a message appeared press any key to boot from cd so i left it (as i have done all the times i have installed xp) and then the message just stayed on with a blinking cursor next to it. if i do press any key it goes back to copying the files again (sometimes) or just displays a blank screen. the same now happens for vista the setup goes fine but after restart i am confronted with this message. now no OS will load on. what do i need to do?? i know it isnt the DVD's as i have done this procedure before on other computers and the one i am trying on now. willl i need to get a nerw HDD or something . Thanks

Remove anything plugged into the computer (other than essentials)
When installing Xp, remove the partition fully (you will see this option)
Then just continue the Setup process (ie don't manually create a partition)

Try that :)

Also, please put your System Specs information in your Profile
Laptop? Desktop? (Oh you said PC at least)

ok thanks for the reply, the specs are pentium 4, 3.2ghz, 250 gb Hdd, gb ram, nvidia g force fx on board. its a sony vaio vgc v3m al in one pc. whats bugging me is that it isn't mine iots a friends and i fear i have broken it. also i am lucky if setup runs

It's not your fault that you had to re-install and doesn't work, it's your friend's PC not yours

Confirm the HardDrive is set to CS (Cable Select jumper on internal HardDrive) if it is using ATA (IDE connection) If Sata, disregard.

Also confirm that the CD/DVD is also CS, and on its own data cable

i have not touched anything in it and i havd used exactly the same things, all the components are cased in could the hdd be corrupted? However all files copy succesfully

Could be bad Ram or HardDrive (or configuration, even though not touched)

You could try Memtest if you don't want to open the case
Memtest should be run for 7 Passes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back