Cannot install Windows XP ( can't F6 my HD?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just purchased a bunch of ew computer parts and I have assembled them recently. The parts are as follows: Motherobard: Intel D945GPM, Processor: Intel Pentium D 3.2 GHz 800 mHz fsb, 320 GB seagate SATA HD, and a CD/DVD -RW drive and an old floppy drive from my old computer.

When I try to install Windows XP Home i hit F6 and I get to the screen that says hit the "S" key to add drivers....etc. I hit the "s" key and and it says that It cannot detect a floppy drive, even though I have it connected correctly ( there is a green light in the front that turns on).

I understand that I need to F6 my SATA HD to finish the installation of Windows, but how can I fix the problem abput not detecting the floppy drive.

Any suggestions? All comments will be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.

If the green light is on constantly, then it is installed incorrectly. Take the floppy cable and try diffrent putting it in the floppy connecter on the motherboard a different way. Same thing with the floppy drive itself. If that doesnt work, get a new floppy drive.

on the bios setup, you have to choose the option that you have a floppy. the above suggestions should also be checked. a constant on light means trouble with the floppy.

OK i tried using different cables and setups with my floppy drive and nothing different happened, is there any way i can instal windows without a floppy drive?

canada89 said:
I understand that I need to F6 my SATA HD to finish the installation of Windows, but how can I fix the problem abput not detecting the floppy drive.

No.Dont hit the F6 key. Just install without pressing the F6 key. You shouldnt need to hit the F6 key from what you have said.

well i finally got my floppy drive installed correctly, now the floppy that i have doesnt do anything, even thought this was the one that came with the motherboard. The screen says something like insert manufacturer's disk into drive A and hit enter, I do that and i wait for a second and the screen reverts back to the same thing. any ideas?

Why are you hitting the F6 key? Go into the BIOS and set the SATA drives to be configured as IDE.

Make sure you have set the jumpers to the CD drive correctly. (Set it as master).

Can you see the drives in the BIOS? Look at the motherboard manual to make sure you have connected the drives to the motherboard correctly aswell.

In the BIOS is the Hard drive the primary master and the CD drive the secondary master? If so good thats how it should be

Make sure the SATA is configured as IDE not RAID/SCSI.

Dont hit the F6 key during installation. Install XP on the drive as if your installing XP on a conventional IDE hard drive. Dont worry about your floppy drive yet.

Are you saving your changes before you exit?

EDIT: Can you see your drives in the BIOS? What do yor drives show up as? Primary secondary master slave?

IBN said:
Make sure you have set the jumpers to the CD drive correctly. (Set it as master).
wrong!
this action will set your cd drive as drive C:.
the hdd should be set as master, and primary.
and you don't need to mess with the bios and boot from cd. you can always invoke the setup from dos using winnt.exe command.
cheers

IBN said:
In the BIOS is the Hard drive the primary master and the CD drive the secondary master? If so good thats how it should be

I have 2 SATA hard drives and my CD drive is set as Master. In the BIOS imy CD drive shows up as Third Primary Master. Theres no problem in doing that.

Make sure you have connected the SATA hard drive to the correct port on the motherboard. It should be labelled as SATA 0. And the IDE drive to IDE 0.

Also his floppy drive doesnt work.

SATA would be fine. but when he's undoing SATA and going to IDE. to undo SATA and connect hdd as IDE, then the hook up result would be what i said.

when you hook up hdd and cd as IDE, they're assigned drive letters. first one (primary master - end of cable) will be assigned the letter c:
the slave drive - middle of cable) will be assigned the next letter and so on.
the secondary master and slave will be assigned the subsquent letters.
SATA IS DIFFERENT.

thanks for all your input but low and behold i needed to update my bios :eek: after doing that my drive stayed as an IDE and my OS is currently installing.
again thanks to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back