Cannot load Internet Explorer

Doug8765

I've been using Internet Explorer every day since upgrading to Windows 10 (one particular java app only works from Internet Explorer). Today Avast did one of their regular upgrades and now IE will not load. It starts to load, but then just disappears before showing anything other than a white screen. I always keep all my software as current as I can.

Any suggestions?

Doug

Disable Avast
(btw: I use it always, but NEVER use IE. Java works in FF, Opera & Chrome too)

Hi -
After IE stopped working I found that virtually all other .EXEs were not working. The solution was to keep Avast and eliminate Comodo Firewall.

I use IE only because this one java app appears to be not portable to other browsers.

The puzzling matter was that when all the executables would not work (and that includes the uninstalls), both the browsers FireFox and Pale Moon kept on working. Don't know why they would work and other apps would not. I had to use Safe Mode.

Doug

Hi -
After IE stopped working I found that virtually all other .EXEs were not working. The solution was to keep Avast and eliminate Comodo Firewall.
Good job in isolating the cause.
I use IE only because this one java app appears to be not portable to other browsers.
Yeah, Early apps favored the IE dom architecture - - the cause of many sites commenting "works best with IE". When following W3C standards, like IE edge and IE11, this BS goes away, but the app was coded to a different spec.
The puzzling matter was that when all the executables would not work (and that includes the uninstalls), both the browsers FireFox and Pale Moon kept on working. Don't know why they would work and other apps would not. I had to use Safe Mode.

Doug
Running only in Safe Mode is a clear indication of dll conflicts or bad software.

Back