Cannot open web page, connected to router

Hi,

I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to help with a problem. I am connected to my internet network on my PC through an Ethernet cable, but cannot access the internet through a browser or anything else. This is the second time this week this has happened. I had a separate PC issue early this week which caused me to reinstall windows. I have had the issue with connecting to the internet occur twice now since reinstalling windows, both times after installing windows updates. I resolved the first occur acne by having my ISP come out. I do not know what they did to fix the problem, only that the router was not the source, and he changed something while logged into the modem settings. Any help would be appreciated.

First get a command prompt and then issue these to commands

both should give some answers, neither should timeout or show errors

In addition to what joebeard has suggested,
you also type the following commands in an elevated command prompt (run as Administrator)
  • ipconfig (to show information status of your Ethernet adapter)
  • ipconfig /release /all (to release all IP connections)
  • ipconfig /renew (to renew IP connection to your Ethernet adapter)

Or better yet, the simple way would be to go into the device manger and remove drivers for the network device. Now I mean to uninstall it NOT TO DELETE THE DRIVER!

The purpose for doing this would force Windows to re-install the driver. This way you would just setup your network setting with password if your on WiFi.

The above is one way there is one more way could power cycle both the modem and router your using. If you got modem is your router type then, do a power cycle to it.

If you done all of the suggestions here, I would call into tech support get a Tier 3 support tech on the phone and tell them to hit your modem. Hit means to send are hard reset your modem. They can do this for you. Since they have that modem locked down. But your issue is either the router or router modem or the laptop network settings has got corrupted (confused) This happens a lot. Simple fixes are provided by all 3 team members here on TechSpot.

Give what you we all have mention a try see what works?

Back