Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP
Asrock K7S41FGX
AMD Athlon 2500+ (1.8)
256mb DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9550

Hi There

I have just bought a pc secondhand with the above specs. The computer itself runs but when i run programs like games, or even do a virus scan (AVG) it crashes and comes up with an error message or restarts/does nothing.

The pc has got a load of rubbish uneccessary programs on it that i have uninstalled (some cannot be uninstalled due to files missing).

I have tried the obvious task of re - installing Windows XP but it crashes when i get to the "press enter to install windows XP" part. Sometimes either displaying an error message or restarting.

I have also tried installing Windows 98, this also crashes either half way through or when the final stages are being completed i.e time zone, control panel, etc.

I have tried using my other hard drive that has been working perfectly but the same happens.

I have also tried using the onboard graphics for the installation but the same thing happens.

If anyone can help with this problem i would DEFINITELY appreciate it.

Thanks

Already done

The RAM and hard drive must be fine because i can load windows XP. The problem is that it crashes regularly and i cannot re - install the OS.

(if what you meant by test is test they work)

Any time I encounter an old used PC, I zero fill & reformat the dard disk, without hesitation (provided I have the necessary drivers, and appll s/w).

testing RAM, he refers to a third party program designed to stress test and fault-find the RAM(s). Like the memtest program (linked below in signature)

When installing an OS, also boot using the minimum hardware possibly needed is also recommended.

The Tutorial on formatting harddisks by korrupt will be useful.

And, I only just noticed the spell check at the extreme top of the message box. (sorry for the typo in the previous msg)

And I just found out that the spell check needs to be downloaded.

"And, I only just noticed the spell check at the extreme top of the message box. (sorry for the typo in the previous msg)"

You see the EDIT button at the bottom right of your posts? That's for people who don't use a spell checker...

Hello,

After you test the memory as it was said previous, you can verify the CPU's temperature if is not higher than normal and the cooler fan is working.

You, also can to verify the PSU if is giving enough power as well.

Try to replace the Grapchics Card with another or test it on another computer.

I had a computer with the same symptoms like your and it turned to be the Graphics Card, it was an ATI Radeon 9500 256 Mb, after I replaced it all went all right.

Yea i dont know how to see wether the cpu is giving enough power, as far a s i know it is, ive started another thread explaing how i have got it to work but not at full capacity. I know my GFX card works fine because i have been using it in another, older computer.

If you have a look at my new thread you'll see my problem.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back