Cannot remove Foxit toolbar

By JerryFerreira
Jul 28, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. As a recommendation from someone who helped me with malware, I installed Foxit Reader. Unfortunately, it also installs a toolbar which you can't uncheck when installing the Reader.

I like the Reader a lot, but can't uninstall the Toolbar on my second computer. When I go to Add/Remove programs, select Foxit Toolbar, Remove, a message shows that "All internet browser windows should be closed..."

I don't have any internet browser windows open.

Can someone help?

Thank you.
  2. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

IE8 > Tools > Manage Add-ons > Toolbars and Extensions
    Find, select and disable the Foxit toolbar.
    Close the IE and try again to uninstall the toolbar.
  3. JerryFerreira

JerryFerreira TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

Same results

Thanks so much for replying Bobcat.

I disabled the toolbar as you said, and the message is still saying that "All internet browser windows should be closed..."
  4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Use a simple Registry editor such as RegClean, Advanced Registry Cleaner, or similar reg editor found at

But your problem is a common one with FoxIt... had you tried contacting the people at Foxit?
  5. JerryFerreira

JerryFerreira TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

Windows Install Clean Up

I ended up using Microsoft's Windows Install Clean Up utiltiy and it took care of the Foxit (Ask) Toolbar.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
  6. raybay

Thank you for the update. Now many of us have another tool we can use for a variety of similar tasks.
  7. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

Well, it's nice when people who start a thread come back with feedback, something they don't all do unfortunately. So I'm glad JerryFerreira's problem has been solved, well done.
  8. Maximillio

Maximillio TS Rookie

I am using Windows 7 64-bit. I found the designers of the toolbar disabled the ability to disable the toolbar. A neat trick which should immediately flag it as spyware in my opinion. Anyone who thinks their toolbar is so important that it cannot be removed should never be allowed on a system in the first place. I do not understand why the developer has control over whether or not their software can be removed.
    Anyway, rant over. I went to Tools|Add-Ons, and right-clicked on the add-on in question (since Disable was grayed out). I clicked on the More Information item in the drop-down and recorded the first 10 or so digits of the GUID. I then opened regedit and searched for those 10 digits and deleted everything associated with them. The More Information item also showed me a directory under Program Files(x86)\Ask.Com or some such. I went to my Program Files (x86) directory, and after closing IE I removed that whole directory.

I restarted IE and it's now thankfully gone. The toolbar was crashing my Explorer and interfering with my JOB. Whoever wrote it is a hack who needs to stay away from a computer keyboard for the rest of his miserable life. I wasn't even USING any of the features of the toolbar and it was blowing up about every 5 minutes.
  9. raybay

Yes, I see what you mean. ASK is one of the top trouble makers for our clients... and it installs in trickly and unfair ways... evil might be a good word for it.