Cannot run ANY program altho admin

By dougham
Aug 21, 2007
  1. Windows XP SP2 PC.
    Although user is a computer administrator, it cannot execute ANY program. I have run adaware, spybot and spyware terminator and found no spyware. Logged in as administrator in safe mode. Checked that I could run programs then reverted to 10 days ago with System Restore. Reboot and user worked OK. After reboot - back to same error. Cannot run .exe - message says no permission. Can see .exe through windows explorer. Have run hijackthis - no problems. Can see nothing wrong in services and startup, but there is obviously something running at shutdown or startup.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Hum.. How can you run all those adware scanners, when you cannot run any programs?
  3. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

Have you by accident switched on DEP for all programs?
    Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Data Execution Prevention and select the top option only.
  4. dougham

dougham TS Rookie Topic Starter

I build a UBCD4WIN CD regularly. This boots to WinXP SP2 with lots of free programs, including Adaware, Spybot etc. But as I said in my post, logged in as Admin in safe mode I did a System Restore. then rebooted and all OK. I then re-ran Adaware Spybot etc. However after a reboot the problem re-occurred. Therefore the malware is still resident. I just don't know what to look for as I've exhausted my Malware resources.
  5. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

If DEP is not blocking your .exe files, perhaps one of the anti-spyware programs is? In my book you need one of each antu-virus, anti-spyware and firewall. Any more and there is a real danger of conflict. Try stopping a few - if in doubt disconnect from the net and stop them all.
  6. mikeymike20

mikeymike20 TS Rookie

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.