TechSpot

Cannot start Windows Firewall\ICS

By bryan2k5
Jun 16, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone, I seem to have a bit of a problem which I hope someone can help me out with.

I cant seem to get my firewall to display. When I attempt to open my firewall settings it says "cannot start windows firewall\ICS". Now I've researched quite a bit about fixing this problem, I even saw some topics on here about the same problem I have but non of the solutions worked for me.

Now Im not a brain when it comes to computer but I don't need to be using ICS, I only have one connection on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. dgower2

dgower2 TS Maniac Posts: 340

Check for all necessary services

Firewall/ICS is dependant on several services. Go into Control Panel and open Administrator Tools, then open Services. You'll see Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall in the list - double-click on it, go to the dependencies tab. There should be 4 services that need to be enabled for the irewall/ICS service to run. Check if any of the dependent services are disabled and if they are, set them to manual.

Post back with the results.

3. bryan2k5

bryan2k5 TS Rookie Topic Starter

well I don't know how to see if they are disabled or not. Here is what was listed in the dependencies tab:

Network connections
    -Remote Procedure call
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    -Event log
    -Remote Procedure Call

4. bryan2k5

I dont know if it matters or not but in that windows firewall place you told me to go to, it says that its startup type is disabled. I tried putting it to automatic and it just kept automatically changing back to disabled

5. bryan2k5

anyone have any ideas?

6. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

What OS are you using.

7. bryan2k5

XP home with SP2

8. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but it could be some sort of malicious thing on your computer. Just as some don't let you open MSCONFIG, or Taskmanager, this could be blocking the firewall, as it would hinder the performance of this malware. I am not certain, just a thought.

Try looking at this thread and see if that takes care of your problem.

If not post back.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

9. DaleTaylor

DaleTaylor TS Rookie

Like Bryan I've tried the recommended tests..Firewall still will not activate. Getting error10047. This is a new situation. Firewall was fine from the beginning of XP pro install. Yesterday I installed Microsoft Antispyware program. Don't know if this is when it started. 10047 says address incompatable with the requested protocaol.... help appreciated.

10. IronDuke

11. bryan2k5

OK, I did everything that other thread said, Im doing the AV scan now, but I have one quick question. It said to remove the temp folder for all users. When I did this it tried deleting some hijackthis folders and said it would make some programs not work. Should I still delete the temp folder for all users? I have the stuff sitting in my recycle bin right now.

12. IronDuke

Where did you install HiJackThis? It should be somewhere like C:\Hijackthis and not on the desktop or any personalised folder. This was pointed out in the instructions.

13. bryan2k5

Ok, I ran a scan but it couldnt remove these three infections:

C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\reginv.dll
    C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winkey.dll
    C:\\WINDOWS\services.exe

what can I do to remove those?

14. IronDuke

Attach the log to a post. I may be able to help, if not somebody else will.

15. bryan2k5

here are the three infections it found. Are these big problems?

Virus File
    BKDR PRORAT.l C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\reginv.dll
    BKDR PRORAT.l C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winkey.dll
    BKDR PRORAT.A C:\WINDOWS\services.exe

16. IronDuke

Do an online scan here.

17. DaleTaylor

DaleTaylor TS Rookie

Windows firewall start

Firewall would not start: Internet connection sharing message, and error 10047. My senior moment kicked in and I ran windows restore, going back 10 days. All is well! Thanks for all the comments and help...dale

18. luv2playcs

luv2playcs TS Member Posts: 73

I dunno

I dont see leh!i cant start win firewall

19. IronDuke

Bryan read this How to post your HJT log

Luv start your own thread please. Preferably containing somethink we can understand. I realise that English may not be your first language - but its all Greek to me. :)

20. luv2playcs

Eh??Wat Happen Mr IronDuke??

wats wrong?? u speak Greek??

21. IronDuke

leh!i - this word makes no appearence in my dictionary. If we understand the problem we will try to help you solve it.

22. bryan2k5

Sorry guys, I went out of town for a few days and I didn't have access to the internet.

Ok, Here's my hijack this log. Anything I don't need, just tell me and I'll fix them.

Thanks for all your help!

Attached Files:

23. luv2playcs

I cant Start up windows firewall

How to start up win firewall???i kind of thinking of giving up!!Ouch!!I went To Network Connection in services,n saw windows firewall in dependencies but!now i !

24. luv2playcs

Users!I found Your Prob!

Ok!Guyz,right click my computer,go to Manage>go to Services aNd Applications> select Services>scroll down till u see Windows Firewall>Right Click it>Select Start>u will see an incompatible Protocool.....>Ok users!

Solution:Redo Or Reformat Your System

Why??:YOu have a firewall i your computer!

25. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

luv2playcs

This is your second-last warning! If you can't post in understandable English, then please do not post at all!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.