Cannot uninstall Windows Messenger

By katie2847
Jun 26, 2009
  1. Hope I am posting in the right place. My apology if not. My OS is Vista Home Premium. I have a 2 part question. First, when I upgraded to the new email I've had problems (I think it's Silverlight). I would love to go back to the old version. Can this be done? Second, I want to uninstall instant messenger but cannot find it in the control panel. Would appreciate help.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Go to Add and Remove programs to remove Silverlight, and instant messenger should be there as well.
    If not, go to Start -Programs to see if it is there... then click to delete.
    Not a go. Then restart in SAFE MODE and try again.
    If that doesn't work, you may have to download a simple registry editor to remove.
  3. katie2847

katie2847 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you Ray. Please confirm my understanding. When I uninstall Silverlight, messenger is included. I will still have continued use of hotmail?
  4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Jot down your hotmail address and password.
    If, for any reason, hotmail is erased, just go to and reinstall it...
    But it normally will not be removed doing what I suggest.
  5. czydiamond

czydiamond TS Rookie

I just renamed the folder

went to program files and just renamed the messenger folder.
    Best Wishes
    Randy J.
  6. ChrisDown

ChrisDown TS Rookie Posts: 125

That's a pretty bad way to remove it, you will be left with a ton of incorrect registry entries and shortcuts pointing at the wrong location. The former is a primary cause of system slowdown.
  7. czydiamond

czydiamond TS Rookie

Thanks, I did not know that.

Best Wishes
    RAndy J.
  8. katie2847

katie2847 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you Ray. Will let you know how I make out.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.