TechSpot

cannot use regedit, disk defragment, or search companion

By blah3
Jun 18, 2005
  1. I have a problem with three of these programs, and I just recently got rid of a trojan virus.

-Regedit
    When I run regedit, the command prompt pops up and then quickly goes away (regedit.exe works fine though)

-Disk Defragmenter
    When I run Disk Defragmenter, I get this error, "MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc. This may be because the file does not exist, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

-Search Companion
    When I run Search Companion, I get this error, "The file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup". Then when it opens, the whole thing is blank.

2. blah3

blah3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Well, I solved two of these problems WITHOUT formatting. I fixed search companion, and disk defragmenter. It was simple. All I did was run my Norton Disk Doctor, Norton WinDoctor, and a few other Norton Utilities. These things only come with Norton System Works though, I think. Regedit still doesn't work for me, but maybe I'll find a way to fix, if I need to, becuase I just use regedit.exe now.

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Try regedt32.exe until you got the problem sorted.

Get your XP-CD out, click Start/Run, type in sfc /scannow and click OK, to replace damaged or missing files.

4. senu

senu TS Rookie

re: regedit problem

I had a similar problem and have now solved it

You still have a virus ( i had several from a nameless a p2p software- why? curiousity and 4m broadband! ) 926 to be exact

Regedit.exe works fine because that is the right command. You have in your windows\ system 32 \folder a file called regedit .com which hijacks regedit.exe when you run it in the usual way You need to delete regedit. com immediately. It is not a windows system file but is a trojan loader disgused as a genuine file. you will need to go to tool s option view files and make all files including system files unhiddeen before you can see the folder and file .Then run , if you like pandasoftwares free online scanner . try the link below

http://www.devplug.com/ntopic42266.htm

:approve: :(

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.