cannot use regedit, disk defragment, or search companion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blah3

I have a problem with three of these programs, and I just recently got rid of a trojan virus.

-Regedit
When I run regedit, the command prompt pops up and then quickly goes away (regedit.exe works fine though)

-Disk Defragmenter
When I run Disk Defragmenter, I get this error, "MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc. This may be because the file does not exist, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

-Search Companion
When I run Search Companion, I get this error, "The file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup". Then when it opens, the whole thing is blank.

Well, I solved two of these problems WITHOUT formatting. I fixed search companion, and disk defragmenter. It was simple. All I did was run my Norton Disk Doctor, Norton WinDoctor, and a few other Norton Utilities. These things only come with Norton System Works though, I think. Regedit still doesn't work for me, but maybe I'll find a way to fix, if I need to, becuase I just use regedit.exe now.

Try regedt32.exe until you got the problem sorted.

Get your XP-CD out, click Start/Run, type in sfc /scannow and click OK, to replace damaged or missing files.

re: regedit problem

I had a similar problem and have now solved it

You still have a virus ( i had several from a nameless a p2p software- why? curiousity and 4m broadband! ) 926 to be exact

Regedit.exe works fine because that is the right command. You have in your windows\ system 32 \folder a file called regedit .com which hijacks regedit.exe when you run it in the usual way You need to delete regedit. com immediately. It is not a windows system file but is a trojan loader disgused as a genuine file. you will need to go to tool s option view files and make all files including system files unhiddeen before you can see the folder and file .Then run , if you like pandasoftwares free online scanner . try the link below

http://www.devplug.com/ntopic42266.htm

:approve: :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back